Honored Contributor

Re: # of posts count accurate?

I think there are many posters who post back and forth on their favorite threads.  Just like posting on Facebook, some of the responses might be just quick one or two word sentences. So yes, it's easy to get that many posts/day. 

Respected Contributor

I lost all kinds of posts during the last change over, but it doesn't matter to me at all.

However, when that change over occurred those that had been posting for some time received a new sign up date.  At one point most of us at that time all had a sign up date for some month in 2010. I have no idea how they assigned how got what month in 2010.  lol

So many may have a high post count that didn't lose posts during that change over, but their sign up date is 2010.  In that case, they may have been here years before that date, but their post count carried over. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

I've been here since October 2006.  I've lost posts a couple of times.  I have no idea how many I should really have. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

my date is wrong and my post count is much lower than it should be......this happened during the BIG SWITCH. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

My post count is accurate. I noticed the total drops one if I delete a post.

Some posters write a lot of one liners and I could easily imagine them writing 10 posts a day, or more.

And we've all seen the compulsive posters, who go to the trouble to write posts like,

'Sorry, I don't know anything about this subject.'  

And not to forget that when a thread is poofed, all of your posts in that thread are subtracted from your post count, as well as any hearts given to you in that thread. Same thing if you have posts removed by the moderators but the thread stays - your individual numbers will go down for each poof.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

No, my post count is not accurate.  I lost many posts along with my initial registration date when the boards were changed.  My original registration was in 2007 not 2010 which is shown.  I will never understand why the registration date and the post count was changed.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

Moonchilde write 

And not to forget that when a thread is poofed, all of your posts in that thread are subtracted from your post count, as well as any hearts given to you in that thread. Same thing if you have posts removed by the moderators but the thread stays - your individual numbers will go down for each poof.

I have lost more posts to thread deletion than I have posts remaining in my post count.

Honored Contributor

I don't think they are correct since when it got switched over, all mine disappeared. Noticed one the other day.........had so many posts, they just didn't seem real. So I really doubt it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moonchilde wrote:

Hedge wrote:

My post count is accurate. I noticed the total drops one if I delete a post.

Some posters write a lot of one liners and I could easily imagine them writing 10 posts a day, or more.

And we've all seen the compulsive posters, who go to the trouble to write posts like,

'Sorry, I don't know anything about this subject.'  

This is a common misconception.   In actuality, when posts/threads are removed by the moderators it doesn't affect our post count.    Easy way to see proof of that is to look up one (or more) of the repeat-spam "trolls" we've seen on the forums (the ones with the "upset" tales of woe on multiple websites).    Another case in point that comes to mind, since it was mentioned in a thread a day or so ago, is the troll we saw on Christmas...   that particular account has a high post count but zero posts remaining.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The new platform was launched in June 2015, and there were several announcements pinned at the top of the forums prior to the move.    One of the notices stated that some of the registration dates would be modified and some post counts would be changed.    Because of that advance notice, a few posters recorded their actual start date and post count and I think some of them have added that info to their signature line.

My registration date is accurate...   post count was never important or significant to me so I think mine was lowered but I don't know if it was a major change.    As others have said, it's really fairly meaningless since some posts are a single word, a single image, some people participate in daily chats, some post a lot one day and then nothing for days or weeks.    I do recall people being mocked for large post counts, and others challenged as being questionable if they had a low count.    As with many things, we're darned if we do and darned if we don't... 😉

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova