Respected Contributor

not ordering perishables due to heat?

I'm putting off ordering anything that cannot tolerate this excessive heat. I was going to put deodorant in my target shipment and even that cannot tolerate heat. I got some vitamin gummies that were just a melted mess. 

I just cannot imagine food being shipped in this heat.

Honored Contributor

Re: not ordering perishables due to heat?

[ Edited ]

So go to the supermarket like I do! I wear a mask while I'm there.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have had very good experiences with curbside pickup. The items are brought to our car and placed in the rear cargo area. We have no contact with the employee. Everything that is supposed to be cold is cold.

If you cannot drive, some grocery stores are offering free delivery. Instacart does an excellent job of selecting items and delivering them.  The Instacart shoppers work for the tip you offer and there are fees for using the service, but it may be worth the extra price to get things quickly and intact.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

That's a wise decision.  

Respected Contributor

I just sent a food gift from Good Belly and it arrived ok.

I need to order speciality sea food from SeaBear but I'll wait.

I order vitamins from Vitacost when on special.

Then there are Prime and Target specials.

Was about to order SeaMoss Gel which is shipped with ice packs but with temps 105 extended days I don't think many perishable items can survive 2 day FedEx. 

I do shop in person. 

Respected Contributor

Yesterday, Zulily was offering Junior's Cheesecake at a sale price.

I would not want to deal with having a cheesecake shipped to me in these temps.  It just sounds like a bad idea all the way around.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@granddi 

Yes, I have hesitated to order food items also & while it is hot here, it is not nearly as hot as some areas of the country.

I was going to order candles but decided to wait on those too.

Honored Contributor

I've ordered food, even chocolate, and it has all arrived suitably packaged with cooling gel.  I haven't had a problem but I don't let it sit in the sun all day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Or stay away from inside the supermarket and just do pickups like we do because nobody in the supermarket wears a mask.  Not gonna do it.  I'm old and I don't have to!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't order anything that required chilling from QVC right now especially since my packages lately have been taking the scenic route.

I go to the grocery store on a weekly basis, so I buy my perishables there.  I often take an insulated bag with a cold pack in it when it's really hot.  I used to have trouble with milk going bad long before the expiration date, but that stopped when I stopped buying lowfat milk.

BTW, I always have lip balm in my car regardless of the heat and it hasn't melted.