Respected Contributor

Re: nostalgia: woolworths announced all stores closing 20 years ago today

@JaneMarple wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

END OF AN ERA 7/17/97

It was 20 years ago today that America got the word — Woolworth's, the mother of all five and dimes, was closing all of its stores. Woolworth's sure takes us back to a lost time in America. Please share your memories of shopping at Woolworth's.

i know i sure miss it......great memories when i was a kid. that was a GREAT place to go to just "hang out" and browse. everytime i was in there i wanted to have lunch at the lunch counter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiAPt6R9cRs

I miss the scent, the wood floors, the candy and nut counter and everything else. Heart

LOL @JaneMarple.  When I opened this thread, the scent of the wooden floors flooded my memory too.  

I remember my mother taking me there at least once a week.  They had a line of doll house furniture that she would let me go through and choose a piece or two so that I might work on the completion of the decor.  I loved it!

We also had a Kresge's two doors down the street.  Heaven!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme

Sadly, I never had one of those ice cream sandwiches.  They sound dreamy!  Wasn't that combo of ice cream called neopolitan?  I still love THAT!

Such fun memories Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@eddyandme

Sadly, I never had one of those ice cream sandwiches.  They sound dreamy!  Wasn't that combo of ice cream called neopolitan?  I still love THAT!

Such fun memories Cat Happy

@Witchy Woman

Yes, and the ice cream was over an inch thick!!!!! Wish we could buy those 'cone squares' and make our own - delish!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

When I was little, I remember getting on the bus with my Mom and we'd ride downtown and go to the Woolworths to shop and then have lunch at the counter.... it was exciting and I remember going to this day....

I am from Southern Calif.  and I also remember taking the bus downtown. Downtown use to be so exciting.  Before malls.   We would take the bus to go the fox theater and see all the disney movies.  I guess I miss the whole downtown experience.  Woolworths was a big deal.  Smiley Happy  Oh we also had a Kresge's too.

Honored Contributor

@catlover wrote:

Oh how nice.  Thank you so much for posting.

Frequent Contributor

When I was a teenager, I worked in the toy department at Woolworths. Back then those stores were called Five and Dime, or Dime Stores. It seems like yesterday as I am now in my 70's. Memories ⌛⏳

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lynnlu wrote:

When I was a teenager, I worked in the toy department at Woolworths. Back then those stores were called Five and Dime, or Dime Stores. It seems like yesterday as I am now in my 70's. Memories ⌛⏳

@Hodgemom

Working at Kresge's was my dream job when I was a little girl.  Although, I thought I wanted to operate the caramel corn kettleCat Happy

Lucky you to have such nice memories of working at Woolworth's!

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple  I think the scent of many places from childhood seem to be the first thing many of us remember.  I can still "smell" the old library my sister used to take me to when I was little-the wooden floors again especiall.  And the smell of waxed steps and how they squeaked leading up to the dance studio where I tapped danced my little feet off.  LOL

I remember Woolworth's too-"frappes" at the lunch counter; the needlework supplies, the 45rpm records; mostly I remember my sisters taking me.  Gosh I miss those days sometimes.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My BFF and I would take the bus downtown (all dressed up of course) and Woolworth's was always one of our stops. I got my perfume there. It was called Blue Waltz. It came in a heart shaped bottle. I recently found it (maybe Vermont Country Store-not sure) and when I opened it and smelled it all kinds of memories came flooding back. Wow. The power of scent. It still smells the same. I'm keeping it forever.