Esteemed Contributor

Re: nostalgia: woolworths announced all stores closing 20 years ago today

We had a G.C. Murphys in town that is now called Springgrove.  It is so much fun to walk through - a real trip to the past.  They still have the candy behind the glass counter.  They have inexpensive, nontech toys like wooden cars and trucks.  Simple lovable dolls.  The old time books.  My grandma always bought her "house dresses" there.  They always have a big bin of flags and balloons outside along with a rack of hula hoops.  I am surprised they have been able to stay in business with Walmart and Meijer and all the Dollar Stores in town.  I am so glad that they have held on!  My mom used to say " let's run down to the dimestore."  Happy times Smiley Happy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Also.... Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play.

Honored Contributor

it was one of the first places my mom ever allowed me to go and shop by myself or with friends. she (or one of the other mothers) would drop us off and pick us up a few hours later.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

What a great thread @sunshine45 thanks to you and everyone else for such wonderful memories . . . Heart

Trusted Contributor

I miss Woolworths too.  I remember going there as a kid and browsing around the store.  Always found something to buy whether I needed it or not.  I took my son there when he was little and he loved it because we would always go to the toy department and he would pick out a toy.  Then we would go to the lunch counter and have something to eat. Afterwards, we would go to Marine Park, (Red Bank) and he would play in the playground  and we would watch all the boats at the river.  He was five when Woolworths closed, so I remember it very well.  Brings back lots of happy memories.  

Honored Contributor

San Francisco, Powell & Market

sf

Honored Contributor

WONDERLAND

woolworths

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the update.  We still have a five-and-dime, or a modern version anyway, in a space formerly occupied by Woolworth's.  Its owners have done very little updating.  It still has wooden floors, pressed-tin ceiling, aisles from front to back, and cashiers behind a counter in front.

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

When I was little, I remember getting on the bus with my Mom and we'd ride downtown and go to the Woolworths to shop and then have lunch at the counter.... it was exciting and I remember going to this day....

@Q4u

Me, too!  And, she always let me pick out one toy. While I circled around the toys, the lady behind te counter and my mother were always unable to talk me into something a bigger size as I always went to the tiny things! Then, I'd have a "horsey" ride. And we'd then sit at the long (when you're an itty-bitty everything's larger!) counter. They'd put a special tray around me. Then, my Mum would order apple pie al la mode and I'd get my forever fave, custard pie! Imagine all the fun we had, then catching the bas home!

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@sunshine45

I grew up near St. Louis, and, when I started to work in the city, there was a big Kresge five and dime.  They are the mother ship of K-mart and very much like Woolworth's.

As a little girl, I dreamed of working there Cat LOL

Shelving was lower and things were displayed in a way that seemed irresistable!  They had a lunch counter, and all the elderly ladies were those hairnets.  I often got a slice of pizza before rushing back to my office at lunch time.

It was everything you would want a 5&10 to be. 

Candy in big, see through bins.  Carmel corn being made on the premises.  Perfect!

When DH and I started dating, there was a Woolworth's near his house.  This was our Friday night date -- to wander around Woolworth buying this and that (I was newly divorced so always needed something for my house).  I think there was a lunch counter there too.

They had anything and everything. 

I dearly miss those stores which represent a different type of less-frenzied shopping, a slower time, and lots of customer service.

While I love having more variety, many things have been lost along the way. 

Not the least of which has been civility.

@Witchy Woman

Loved that store, too! Do you remember the "ice cream sandwiches" that consisted of two cone squares with a choc, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream square in the middle!