Esteemed Contributor

Re: nostalgia: woolworths announced all stores closing 20 years ago today

I loved Woolworth's also, I remember going to the clearance sales as the stores came closer to closing their doors, it was a sad day for me.

Valued Contributor

I loved Woolworths. As a child I remember going with my mom and grandma at least once a week. One memory that stands out is I was around 8 years old and I wanted mom to buy me a "waitress pad" (with carbon paper) so I could play waitress at home.  

Every time we went to Woolworths we always ate at the counter. I always had grilled cheese and chocolate milk. I thought it was a big deal to climb up on the stool.  Thanks for this post. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman

we had a kresges also.......and murphys mart and mccrorys.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't think I've ever been in one. I sure don't remember if I have. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@SandPiper wrote:

I loved Woolworths. As a child I remember going with my mom and grandma at least once a week. One memory that stands out is I was around 8 years old and I wanted mom to buy me a "waitress pad" (with carbon paper) so I could play waitress at home.  

Every time we went to Woolworths we always ate at the counter. I always had grilled cheese and chocolate milk. I thought it was a big deal to climb up on the stool.  Thanks for this post. 

"Waitress pad!"  Loved playing with those!!  Great memories!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I forgot about his story I read over the weekend on the internet

Apparently Woolworth's is huge in Austriala (sp). A bride got married last month, she ordered and paid for her wedding cake. Come day of wedding, NO wedding cake was delivered.  

2 of the brides aunts went to the local Woolworth's store and purchased 3 mud cakes and Betty Crockers frostings and made her a quick wedding cake.  

A photo was shown of the wedding cake. OH my gosh, It was so cute and original.  They got extra flowers from the florist shop that was left at the wedding delivery and put some flowers on top of cake and around the base. It was really a beautiful

wedding cake.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: nostalgia: woolworths announced all stores closing 20 years ago todayr

We had a wonderful Woolworth's in our small city. It was large and they seemed to have everything. We could even fill prescriptions there. We also had an excellent JC Penny. I bought all my kids' clothes there, as well as towels, sheets, underwear, coats, etc., etc. Now we have nothing but the internet. I adjusted, buying everything I need online.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I guess I didn't even know this store was still around.  We had one in my local mall but it closed years and years ago.  

When I worked in downtown Cleveland there was one there and every once in awhile we would go in and get a milkshake on a Friday afternoon while on lunch. They made the best milkshakes.

@Lipstickdiva

They aren't still around.

Today is the 20 year anniversary of the stores closing.

The o/p was reminiscing.

OMG I swear to you I need new contacts.  LOL

Honored Contributor

I MISS WOOLWORTH'S!

Pre-teen, I'd take the cable car downtown to the corner of Powell and Market with friends or to meet my mother.

It was HUGE and carried everything you could possibly want at the time.  My favorite section was cosmetics, and it was huge.  So much too look at, seemingly hundreds of lipsticks.

And then a trip to the counter for a BLT or ice cream.  Heart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Wow, 20 years since F.W.Woolworth Co. closed, such great memories and times growing up!

Image result for woolworths store imagesImage result for f w woolworths store staten island images