Honored Contributor

For several years, I bought the Sunday paper just for the coupons; the rest of the paper went immediately in the recycling bin.  The price was $2 or $3.  Then it went up to $5 and I stopped that nonsense.  There was no way I'd get that much payback from the coupons.

Honored Contributor

I live in NYC and loved reading the Sunday edition of Newsday. I was out when the cost was up to $4.00, I don't know what it costs now. I don't know why they charge so much, most people today don't buy newspapers, they get their information online or watching cable news networks. I know Newsday and the New York Daily News are both suffering financially.

Respected Contributor

Re: newspaper cost

[ Edited ]

Our Pittsburgh Post Gazette is $4.00 - that's news stand price.  We have a subscription but since they only print the paper 3 days a week it's pretty cheap - I think we're paying $2.50 a week currently.  That's for online subscription too for the rest of the week.

Their reporters are going on strike soon - they haven't had a raise in 14 years so don't blame them but the whole paper will likely go away when they do.  

I actually prefer reading online. But I like the Sunday printed paper for the NY Times Crossword - they put the whole week's worth in the Sunday edition.

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva I have the same reaction that you do.   From the years I spent teaching as computers became more and more common, I can tell you that as early as the late 1980's I was reading the research to learn how reading and writing online was changing the way we do both.

I know I read more articles and I read more thoughtfully when I am holding print than I do when I'm reading digitally.  I believe many others do also.

Honored Contributor

Re: newspaper cost

[ Edited ]

@catter70 wrote:

I just got my local Sunday  paper delivered and see the cost has gone up to $6.00. Wholly cow. My subscription is up in a couple weeks so I guess I won't be renewing. I get daily delivery and have for many years. Last year it was almost $400.00 for the year so I didn't renew and then they called and offered at the rate I was still on so I renewed. I sure will miss it, as online isn't the same. 

@catter70   @drizzellla 

ITA online isnt the same....used to enjoy going out on my patio early Sunday morning with a PAPER COPY of the news and a cup of coffee, and also enjoyed the coupons and ad inserts.  Sadly, not only did the cost go up---($520 a year for print and digital access is also included)...but I also had problems with the delivery.....didnt get the paper at all, or Sundays he wouldn't deliver it at 2PM in the AFTERNOON!!!  After complaining to the guy in charge of deliveries and also to several Newspaper Departments and Supervisors---I just gave up!!!!  They lost a good long time customer----I just read the local news from the TV station websites and national news sites... Woman Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I remember the "olden days" when others would say "take the paper",not purchase.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

We quit the paper version years ago and it is a blessing not to have to deal with the mess of paper!

Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I just got my local Sunday  paper delivered and see the cost has gone up to $6.00. Wholly cow. My subscription is up in a couple weeks so I guess I won't be renewing. I get daily delivery and have for many years. Last year it was almost $400.00 for the year so I didn't renew and then they called and offered at the rate I was still on so I renewed. I sure will miss it, as online isn't the same. 

I just said to my husband last night, "Remember when we would go out Sunday morning to get the paper?"  I wanted it for the coupons but then the coupos became less and less.  We did subscribe to delivery service but then changed to just the Sunday paper.  I think the Sunday paper was a little over $2 then.  $6 is expensive just for one paper.  

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@ceekay wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD - I am right there with you!  That is crazy.

My mom gets the daily paper (which is how I know the cost).  She has macular degeneration and cannot really see to read it.  Then she complains about the stacks of newspapers all over her den.  Then she insists she needs to keep some in case there is a flood (she lives in a 2nd floor apartment but the basement in the family home used to flood regularly).  I mentioned she sure pays a lot for something she really does not use/need.  Her response is "I have always had a daily paper".  So, it makes her happy and she can afford it and I just stack up the papers and put them out for pickup when I am there and leave her a small stack and try not to think of the trees used to give her a daily paper!  :-)

@ceekay  My 95 year old Aunt was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. Not only did the papers stack up unread, but we'd find important mail (like her handicapped parking hang tag and some utility bills) in between the unread papers. She switched to the same type of subscription we have, but still couldn't see well enough to read the paper. Last week DH and DS convinced her to get an iPad by showing her how she could access the paper online and expand the font size to one that would enable her to read comfortably. We received it last night and DH is going to set it up for her tomorrow. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

ceekay - I hope your aunt is able to read on the iPad.  My Mom also had MD and still could not read on a Kindle, iPad, or laptop.  That spot in front of their eyes that blocks everything out was still there of course and prevented her from reading anywhere.  She even tried large print.  But it wasn't the font/print that was the problem.  

Respected Contributor

My whole life I had the paper delivered every day and never paid attention to how much it cost.  I always thought about canceling it since I only read the first few pages and then went straight to the crossword and other puzzles. Last year I got a renewal notice and the price was going up.  When I realized I was paying over $700 a year to basically do the crossword puzzle, I knew I could buy a lot of puzzle books for that!