Super Contributor

Re: news channels really going overboard on this Eclipse

It beats the normal depressing stuff for sure.  I am luck to be home today.  If I was at work in a windowless basement I would miss the whole thing.  I am going to put one of the Eclipse news specials on at 1.

Honored Contributor

I admit I've never quite gotten the great excitement of an eclipse.

I am amazed at how much it's being anticipated and celebrated-cities having festivals, news coverage etc.

I see fascinating things every day in nature in our neighborhood.

There will be another eclipse in 7 years.

I think one very good thing about it is not the eclipse itself, but news that is something other than all the tragedy and horrors that seem to inundate our world every day!

I guess it is nice to see everyone thinking about one thing together.

I hope everyone remains safe esp. those on the congested roads. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@gardensla wrote:

Really? I think it's fascinating and am grateful to be alive at the moment to see one of the miracles of the universe in action.

To each her own, I guess.

ITA.  are we so jaded that we can't find some child-like wonder in one of the marvels of nature? None of us will be around for the next total eclipse. I'm not at all upset about the news coverage. It makes me happy instead of sad to the core of my being like so much that has  happened recently.

@Ms tyrion2

actually the next total solar eclipse will be in 2024......i plan on still being around. Robot wink the totality will be in 12 states.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@gardensla wrote:

Really? I think it's fascinating and am grateful to be alive at the moment to see one of the miracles of the universe in action.

To each her own, I guess.

ITA.  are we so jaded that we can't find some child-like wonder in one of the marvels of nature? None of us will be around for the next total eclipse. I'm not at all upset about the news coverage. It makes me happy instead of sad to the core of my being like so much that has  happened recently.

@Ms tyrion2

actually the next total solar eclipse will be in 2024......i plan on still being around. Robot wink the totality will be in 12 states.

You're right @sunshine45.

I should have said some of us might not be around

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

I love your posts and graphics this morn Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

In my opinion, this coverage is a welcome break and distraction from the news of yet another terror strike, or another rally/protest or another political story.

All those other things are important, but this is just something rare in nature, totally out of our control (or that of any other group we are for or against), and actually kind of fun to be alive during it's occurrence. 

Honored Contributor

I think it's amazing and worthy of hype. Sure beats the alternatives. I can't watch it which makes me very sad, because I couldn't get any glasses. But I'm going outside to look down at the shadow patterns on the ground near trees. I read that there can be some cool ones.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I think solar and lunar eclipses are cool!

Nature is awsome!!!!!

@Plaid Pants2

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

CNN has some really good science shorts.

A million earths can fit inside the sun (local news).  

🌞

🌚

Honored Contributor

The sun and moon are exactly the same size in our sky...amazing.