Respected Contributor

new life - couldn't come at a better time!

this eagle chick hatched over the weekend at the Institute of Wildlife Studies Two Harbors/Catalina Island nest.  its parents are veterans - but did lose one egg during incubation.  so the hatch was greeted with joy - by the parents, Chase and Cholyn - and the thousands of eagle watchers watching the verrrrrrrrrrry quick hatch by this little one on the eagle cam.  it will be a fierce eagle,, for sure.  the season in California has had nonviable eggs, broken eggs, no eggs, etc.  so this chick will have a lot of godparents!

meanwhile, it is a cutie pie, brightening a rainy day in Southern California (we love the rain but it is dreary!).

have a look.

Respected Contributor

Re: new life - couldn't come at a better time!

I really enjoy watching eagles’ nests too (of course I’m always sad if something goes awry!).  Currently I’m watching the trio eagles’ nest in Illinois (a female with two males) and a nest in Decorah, Iowa.  They both currently have two babies that are growing so fast!

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I really enjoy watching eagles’ nests too (of course I’m always sad if something goes awry!).  Currently I’m watching the trio eagles’ nest in Illinois (a female with two males) and a nest in Decorah, Iowa.  They both currently have two babies that are growing so fast!

@itsmagic  oh yes, joys and sorrows.  i have struggled with a chick falling out of nest (120 feet up) right before fledge (it had a happy ending), a chick not waking up after a freezing rain storm, parent eagles refusing to give up on nonviable eggs, breaking your heart.  i sometimes have to ignore the nest when things get tough -  but there is nothing like that bittersweet day when a baby flies off and soars!   you don't want to let go -  but what pleasure one feels when the eaglet is liberated from the nest.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, thank you for posting that adorable new chick. I watch several eagle nests as well as other birds. The Peregrine Falcons in Richmond, VA have 3 eggs so far with another maybe today/tomorrow. Typically 4 are laid.

Also, for those interested, the San Diego Zoo has several live cams to watch - another fun thing to do.

Respected Contributor

@riley1   these cams are a delight right now.  i learn so much.  

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

@itsmagic  oh yes, joys and sorrows.  i have struggled with a chick falling out of nest (120 feet up) right before fledge (it had a happy ending), a chick not waking up after a freezing rain storm, parent eagles refusing to give up on nonviable eggs, breaking your heart.  i sometimes have to ignore the nest when things get tough -  but there is nothing like that bittersweet day when a baby flies off and soars!   you don't want to let go -  but what pleasure one feels when the eaglet is liberated from the nest.

@ms traditional The worst one for me was a nest with three babies and the third born was the runt of the family and after a couple weeks didn’t make it but boy did he/she try!  I got so attached to that little guy and struggled with that one. I had to take a break from the nests for a while after that too. 

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

@ms traditional The worst one for me was a nest with three babies and the third born was the runt of the family and after a couple weeks didn’t make it but boy did he/she try!  I got so attached to that little guy and struggled with that one. I had to take a break from the nests for a while after that too. 

@itsmagic  oh yes.  i cried for several days when one chick expired due to weather (chicks were too big to be completely covered by Mama and did not have their appropriate feathers).  it was tough.    so i totally get your upset.  now i try to cut away to avoid heartache.  it helps if nests have  a Facebook page with updates so you don't have to monitor the nest.  you get so much more attached when you see them in the nest.  i continue to learn how to manage the experience.  

Super Contributor

I haven't watched these birds, but I got hooked at watching April the giraffe, a couple of years ago. Watching was so slow, someone posted another cam for "tiny kittens". I watched that as I have 2 cats of my own. I watched so many baby kittens being born, and so many that died. One cat lost all of her babies. I cried so hard for so long. I'm not watching any right now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional - started watching cams about 13 yrs ago - they got me through radiation treatments.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ms traditional In our little town in New England there is a canal that was used to provide a gateway for ships to the atlantic ocean via the connecticut river that runs from Canada and empties into the atlantic and the canal would lahatter supply water to the mills along the river and still does supply water to one mill left.  Immigrants from mostly Ireland built the canal in the 1800's  Quite a history.  Today the pathway on the canal is closed at in our town to protect the eagle nests and the resulting hatching of eagles.  The canal is usually path is usually closed from November through April.  Parts of it opened today to allow bicycles, walkers and runners to enjoy the path and the abundance of wild flowers and other wildlife.  The canal is now a protected enironment.

Windsor Locks Canal State Park Trail Image may contain: one or more people, sky, outdoor and nature