Honored Contributor

Re: new UK TV pilot--Dancing with Horses šŸŽ

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I've seen what is called 'dancing' horses.  It is cool to see, but I get the feeling that it might be hard on the horses.  Who knows, maybe the horses like doing it.  I hope they get a lot of carrots and apples afterward.    

I was wondering too if it is hard on the horses and if they actually liked it. It is hard to imagine a horse using their legs to lift their large bodies and not sustain injury. What do you horse experts think?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I've seen what is called 'dancing' horses.  It is cool to see, but I get the feeling that it might be hard on the horses.  Who knows, maybe the horses like doing it.  I hope they get a lot of carrots and apples afterward.    

I was wondering too if it is hard on the horses and if they actually liked it. It is hard to imagine a horse using their legs to lift their large bodies and not sustain injury. What do you horse experts think?

According to the article I read on Deadline, the producer indicated there was an animal welfare group called American Humane present during filming.  If they continue with the show, I hope there are competent and compassionate people remaining on the set before, during, and after filming to ensure the safety of the horses.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  No didnā€™tā€™t get into the roping.  What amazed me was these cowboys could just talk/whistle at their quarter horses and  the horses did exactly what they needed them to do

I bred 16/17 hands horses - big babies  - we used them three day eventing (cross country, jumping , dressage) I generally fell off at the jumping stage! - and to load some of them into our horse boxes took ages, very temperamental to say the least.   These quarter horses just walked up the ramp straight into box.   Blew my mind.

You live in what sounds like a lovely area but I can still see Lyle Lovett in my mind on his horse - yahoo!

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan  Only my experience I found when you are trying to teach a horse something very unnatural - e,g, dressage, dancing - some love it others no way and will not do it.

If you are a sympathetic owner, know your horse,  you know when to quit.  What bothers me when t,v. shows and big monies involved some owners not so ā€˜sympatheticā€™ā€™ .

In U.K. we have very strict animal agencies that really watch out for animalsā€™ welfare so I am sure they were involved and people over there report animal abuse instantly so hopefully all was good.

What I have not found here are the same animal welfare agencies as when I wanted to report some animal abuse in my neighbourhood no-one could tell me who to report it to - so I handled it myself!  

Honored Contributor

@dulwich LOL!!!  I hear you!  We bought a buckskin 4 yr old mare that had been ridden in a Quadrille.  She pranced and danced every step she took, and hang on if you ever touched your heels to her!  She was wonderful!

BUT when my dad bought her he drove about 50 miles with the trailer, go there and the lady selling her said "Oh, I didn't tell you.  She won't ride in a dark colored trailer."  My dad was not happy but back he and my cousin went to borrow a white one. Sure enough she would NOT go near the dark green one.

He brought her home, parked the trailer in a lot with just her and the trailer and put sweet feed and hay in the front of it with the door open.  It took about 2 or 3 days and she'd walk right up in any trailer we ever had.  Including a big stock trailer!  

We also had a big Tennessee Walking Horse I loved that was a blast to ride.  That horse walked faster than most can canter.  He was amazing.  I always wanted to try English style and jumping (planned jumping that is!) but never got too.  

The buckskin mare jumped, but it was sideways about 2 feet when you least expected it--like cats jump!  You were always ready for anything with her, but a lovely sweet horse and ready to do your bidding--with a few rare surprises! But she was lovely and calm in crowds or traffic or on city streets.  You never know about horses. 

Quarter horses are amazing animals and love to work.  A ranch near us worked cattle on a 30 year old black one, and until shortly before he died he was always raring to go!

Ah, home on the range!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Sooner   O.m,g. I akwaty wanted to ride a Tennessee Walking horse.  Never seen one until I cane to U.S. my heart leaped when I read your post - so envious.

Laughed out loud re horse box - been there - done that.  Isnā€™t it amazing when you go thro the motions and days of looking, trying out,  buying horse then deal done.  Get home there us alwats one thing they forget to tell you.

After lots if hours bought big beautiful three quarter bred very gentle mare, put salt lick in her stable asked DH bring her in for night.

I was in field saw horse go in stable with DH half door shut then hell of a ruckus, horse rearing up,  DH literally jumped over half locked stable door - I fell about laughing - horse frightened of salt lick! ā€˜forgot  to tell youā€™.

All good fun.  As you say you never know.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich  SO funny!   I love salt and always threatened to put one of those blocks on my desk for stressful days!  Yes, sometimes you never know!  LOL!!!  Had one that stood with her front legs in the water tank all day when it was hot and splashed water on her.  Went through a lot of water tanks we did!

Have you ever watched "Something to talk about?"  Great movie and there are horses, not too many but it is a great fun movie! 

I will stop now because I don't want to hijack someone's topic!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  will check out movie.

Sorry all we are indeed hijacking topic- all done!