Honored Contributor

I had to return an area carpet.  Beautiful neutral, bound all around, around 6'x9', or a bit larger.  Anyway, I kept it on my porch for a few days, then in my garage.  Smell was strong, so I returned it on the last day of the return policy.  Bought two others, different (I believe polyester), a bit smaller, and no odor.  The first one stated that it was treated with anti stain whatever, so I'm guessing that it was over-sprayed (or something similar). Also, I've returned several pant/jean items that had definite odors that hadn't dissipated after a few weeks or so. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
New Contributor

Years ago I purchased a pair of black jeans.  It had a horrible smell also.  I remember I tried everything to get the smell out, including using vinegar, and other detergents.  Nothing worked.  The smell would not go away.  I think it has something to do with the black dye they used  for the pants.  You should return them when you can, because once that smell is in there you can't get it out.  

Respected Contributor

I bought DG2 jeans 2 years ago and have washed them a lot.  They still smell.

Honored Contributor

Having been stung several times by garments that smelled like a combination of gasoline and burning rubber.........I now sniff (like a dog) while I am in the store..............   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

When it comes to cotton fabrics or cotton blend I think of pesticide use because I have definitely had a reaction from trying on an item that smelled terrible and sometimes there's nothing that will get that odor out.  

Honored Contributor

If we can smell it after a couple of weeks, it's still in the molecules.   Everything we see, touch, smell, etc. are made of millions/billions/trillions/whatever of molecules.  Well, at least that's what we learned in elementary school.  I can still recall the teacher knocking on the desk, saying that the harder the surface/object, the more densly packed the molecules are compressed together.   What we smell is still there, molecule-wise.  I returned the pants I was talking about in my previous post, mainly because I didn't want to be driving in my car, smelling the strong (gasoline?) odor.   It's one thing to be outdoors, but in a confined space, not too good.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

For some reason imported items did not smell like this 30 years ago~!  For whatever reason, these overseas manufacturing companies are spraying the carp out of their items befoare shipping them ... one of the worst items I've ever purchased was a Kathy Van Zeeland PVC handbag (made in China) from the Q.  I opened the box and even though the item was wrapped in plastic, I was nearly knocked over by the stench and I wouldn't take it out of the plastic!!...... resealed the box and back it went!

I'm another one that employs my sniffer before I buy anything anymore....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*