Contributor

I just received a pair of DG2 black jeans and the smell was awful...so I washed them and it didn't help.  Does anyone have an idea of how to get rid of the odor?  TIA if you do!!!

Respected Contributor

Go buy the pellets that boost your laundry detergent fragrance.  Downey makes them.  Also, I have found it you add baking soda or Arm and Hammer washing soda to your detergent helps with odor too.  

Honored Contributor

Charcoal works well for dispelling odors.   I'd probably get a container with some sort of rack in the bottom, put the charcoal below the rack and the jeans on top of the rack.  Seal it up and leave it for however long it takes.

I probably wouldn't attack it with somethig that is strongly scented.  That would probably make it even worse, and especially if you have any breathing challenges, or pets in your environment.

Honored Contributor

I agree regarding the Arm & Hammer.  Supposedly 100 Mule Team Borox should work, but I've never found it that effective for odors....

Speaking of which, I found a gorgeous leather Fossil handbag a few hours ago on sale at Dillards.  I didn't buy it because it smelled awful.  It should have had a wonderful leather smell, but didn't.  It was all leather, expensive ($248) Fossil handbag and the second one I've passed up because of odors (coming from being manufacturing in another country!).....  Woman Tongue

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

Use white vinegar in your wash.  In fact, I do this now with all of my laundry loads.  I put the white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser and do an extra rinse.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

20 Mule Team Borax, in the detergent aisle, white box w/red print, 4 lbs. It is great for neutralizing odors and lots of other household uses. 

Respected Contributor

@Marebear54 wrote:

I just received a pair of DG2 black jeans and the smell was awful...so I washed them and it didn't help.  Does anyone have an idea of how to get rid of the odor?  TIA if you do!!!

Tide now makes a detergent just for orders........the commercial about the yoga pants lol.............try that..................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

I bought a pair of her jeans one time, and they smelled awful, too.  I never could get the smell out.  I should have returned them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Can you return them?  I wish I'd done that with an area rug I bought months ago.  It stunk!  I loved the pattern so I put it out in the garage thinking the smell would dissipate and I'd bring it inside soon.   That was in November.  It still stinks.  I'm wondering if it has formaldehyde(sp) in it.  And now I don't even want it in my house and I don't have the receipt anymore.

Lesson learned.  I think stuff made outside of the US is suspect.... there are chemicals that are outlawed or restricted here (for good reason) that aren't in other countries.  Then that stuff, with perhaps cancer causing chemicals, gets shipped to us.  Ugh.

Trusted Contributor

Hi Marebear54. I dont know if you go to the HSN forums but there is an interesting forum regarding the horrid chemical smell on DG2 items. One poster had a horrific allergic reaction. After reading of the chemical odor way more apparent in DG2 dark color jeans I will never buy another pair of this brand no matter how pretty or tempted I may be. Seems when they are shipped from China they are putting formaldahyde and other chemicals on them. I have bought many brands but never had such a horrid chemical smell as that one. I dont know if CS or DG has addressed this issue but they are well aware of the complaints. Might want to go read the forum if you have the time. Have a great day.......Stormy