Respected Contributor

Re: need advice on washing machine

@sfnative - I agree - you have a 2009 - washing machines should last you much longer than that.  I have a Whirlpool top loader agitator that is 2003 and it is still running (fingers crossed).  Never had a problem with it.  It was the cheapest model HH Gregg had in 2003.  I started a post questioning agitator-less top loaders and everyone said they hate them. 

Respected Contributor

Our whirlpool croaked after two years.  We did a lot of research, and consulting. Our  repair man said don't bother, bite the bullet and get the Maytag.

I like a top loader and wouldn't consider a front loader.

We have the Maytag Bravos XL. It has a stainless tub, a a small center thing, not really an agitator but it works, and it has the option for an extra rinse. All important to me. I really do love it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had to replace my washer and dryer a few years ago and purchased a Samsung efficiency front loader set with the drawers.  I really like it once I adjusted to the "new" system. It does save me 20% on my water bill. I can do larger loads and so I alternate when I wash towels, bedding, etc.  I have two different delicate cycles which I use all the time. I wash quite a bit in cold water and it does just as well in cold as it does in warm or hot. My model has the "Pure" cycle on it which means that the washer keeps count of the number of loads and then tells you when to run the cycle so it can clean the wash drum. Not all of them have this feature and I would not want to be without this feature. It's the best. 

Honored Contributor

We just bought a Whirlpool front loader and I really like it. Our GE was not a good washer, and did not put hardly any water.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a few months ago we got a Maytag Bravos XL washer and dryer. Our front machine machine blew up and we have never been happy with it anyway!

I love it, even more importantly my husband loves it too! He's always done his own laundry, but he says this makes it fun! Seriously!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't buy a Samsung washing machine of any kind. I bought a very expensive model back in 2012...had no issues for one year, and then in 2014, it fell apart. It would never stay balanced to finish a spin cycle and it started rusting everywhere. We had so many problems, Lowe's just finally refunded our purchase price because they had no other options to fix it. Samsung washing machines are junk!!!

Super Contributor

I have an LG TOP loading high efficiency washer. ....and I love it. It does a fantastic job of cleaning my clothes gently......and saves on water......without the mold and mildew problems the front loaders have been known for. 

The only problem I have is that it has a very deep drum and I have a hard time reaching the clothes on the bottom. I have to use one of those old lady grabber things! lol.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like it could just be a hose - I would certainly look into getting it repaired before I would go buy one.

Honored Contributor

@kivah

Same thing happened to my nearly 8 year old Kenmore.  It was the main bearing.  I just bought a GE toploading washer for under $500.  I am not spending big money on machines that don't last anymore.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

My cousin, who repairs appliances for a living tells anyone who will listen to buy the least expensive, least electronic appliances they can find out there. The simpler they are the better they are and the longer they will last. Once the electronics on an appliance break there is no repairing them - they have to be replaced.