Esteemed Contributor

need advice on washing machine

I have a 2009 GE Profile Top Loading Washing Machine. I just noticed that it's leaking water on the floor and has become very noisy and squeaking. I haven't had any problems with the machine for 6 years - and since GE Profile Washers get bad reviews, wonder if I should buy another washer, different brand. Repair people usually charge around $200. for small repairs, and it's just not worth it.

Should I buy another washer?  Which brand do u recommend? I prefer top-loading, quiet, and longer-lasting.

Super Contributor

Re: need advice on washing machine

I love my Whirlpool.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I have a 2009 GE Profile Top Loading Washing Machine. I just noticed that it's leaking water on the floor and has become very noisy and squeaking. I haven't had any problems with the machine for 6 years - and since GE Profile Washers get bad reviews, wonder if I should buy another washer, different brand. Repair people usually charge around $200. for small repairs, and it's just not worth it.

Should I buy another washer?  Which brand do u recommend? I prefer top-loading, quiet, and longer-lasting.

are you looking for a top loader that does not have an agitator or one with???........because that's an important question and one that limits your choices

washers with an agitator will use more water, and still are the washer that will last the longest because they have fewer moving parts on the mortor.........you also have no need for HE detergent........but agitator washers are being phased out, so the brands and models are scant.......GE still makes one, Admiral makes one and a couple off brands, but only one model.

on a top load non-agitator, what you need to remember is they function exactly like a front load........use much less water then a standard top load/agitator washer.......must use HE detergent........what you are counting on to "clean" the clothes is the friction of fabric on fabric, from the 5 motion settings the wash goes through.......LG still makes a fantastic washer, although you couldn't pay me to buy one of their refrigerators.......Samsung is top on the list and comes with a fantastic warranty (10 years) although LG comes with the same warranty....................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Valued Contributor

SPEED QUEEN all the way!!!!!

Beckyblu

Respected Contributor

@kivah  Before you start shopping for a new machine, I suggest you go to appliancepartspros.com.  At this site you can enter the 'symptoms' of your specific machine and be given suggestions for repairing it yourself. There are even videos to watch about installing the new parts.  I've used this site twice, and received correct advice each time, not to mention having saved a tidy sum in repair calls.   

Good luck! 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Whirlpool Duet and HATE it. The water is too low. I'm talking, the clothes are damp, and basically beating the dirt out as it flops on the wings. Think slapping your damp clothes against a rock. So little water the Tide Pod just busts from being squished and ultimately just sticks to the clothes. Clorox 2 tablets don't dissolve either. I have plastic cereal container sitting beside the washer that I fill with water to pour in the drawer to get some water in the drum. Too much and the washer drains itself.

I'd be better off with a scrub board and bucket. Smiley Frustrated

Also, if I'm reaching into the dryer, that sits on top, I have to be very careful not the touch the buttons. I can't tell you the number of times I've accidentally turned a cycle off mid way through it. It has a button to turn the buttons off....which I have to use occasionally when my cats sit on a chair in front of the washer....I heard the washer chimming and I knew it shouldn't be through yet, as I walk in, my boy looks over his shoulder, seemingly smiling as he contenus to "play a song".  After the laugh I learned to turn the buttons off...they still play music, but don't adjust the wash.  

Honored Contributor

@kivah   There was a washing machine thread here a couple days ago with lots of good informationinformation.   People seemed to have bad luck with the washers w/o agitators.   Do a search for it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@kivah

My husband, who knows about this stuff, says it sounds like a typical "transmission" leak, as can be evident in top loaders, which have shifting mechanisms.  He said if this were his machine, he'd call a small appliance repair place and have them come out to eval your machine. 

A new machine is going to cost, in more than most cases, a lot more than a repair for the repair to your machine.

Esteemed Contributor

If you like it, I would have someone look at it and see what it would cost to repair it. Might not be as bad a repair as you think, you never know.

Honored Contributor

It probably just needs belts and hoses checked and possible replace. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval