Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@elated wrote:

I don't like to see people that are homeless begging for money. It breaks my heart when I see children and dogs. I don't know how they got here. I have heard that many have mental problems. There are job opportunities and companies are having a tough time filling them  I know that retail stores are in need for Holiday help. If they could get a foot in the door, maybe they would get an opportunity to get off the street. I don't think there is an easy solution to this problem.  It is a very sad and humbling situation. I think you can volunteer but that doesn't get them off the street.

Last time I checked, you need an address and a phone number when you apply for a job. Most retail sales jobs do not pay more than 10 dollars an hour if that Check out what the going rate for an apartment is in the city, in my rural area a livable one bed room apartment is 500 dollars a month and that isn't all inclusive. To say this is a problem is putting a happy face on it, I would consider being homeless a nightmare. I guess you would have to be mentally ill to WANT to be homeless. Oh, and we don't take care of our brothers and sisters who are mentally ill either. Those of you posting who know of agencies who help those who are mentally ill and on the streets, please let us know so we can get the word out.

PROLOGUE INC...... baltimore county and carroll county maryland

PROJECT PLASE......baltimore area

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: my heart breaks

[ Edited ]

@fortune- regarding your comment on homeless not taking certain jobs - There are a couple of guys that stand by a light on the highway with signs looking for money for food.

They have fairly nice bicycles parked nearby so I'm guessing they live in the woods not far away.

Well, my neighbor stopped and asked if they wanted a job doing yardwork, cleaning up, etc. She even offered to drive - they were not interested.

Guess its easier to stand on the highway and get handouts without having to actually work for it.

Esteemed Contributor

Once it starts getting colder in the northern states, the homeless population seems to increase where I am located.

A couple of years ago there was a large group of them in the woods nearby - I think if they didn't have huge fires going every night they probably would still be there. I'm guessing the people from the homes that backed up to the woods had enough and figured it was a fire hazard. They were booted from there. But the garbage they left behind was terrible.

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@fortune- regarding your comment on homeless not taking certain jobs - There are a couple of guys that stand by a light on the highway with signs looking for money for food.

They have fairly nice bicycles parked nearby so I'm guessing they live in the woods not far away.

Well, my neighbor stopped and asked if they wanted a job doing yardwork, cleaning up, etc. She even offered to drive - they were not interested.

Guess its easier to stand on the highway and get handouts without having to actually work for it.

The two highlighted phrases gave me pause.  If they had bikes, were they able to load them in her car?  

If they had been able to do the above, was she not concerned about her own welfare with two strangers in her car?

Something doesn't sound right.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, they could load them in her car. Apparently, she didn't feel at risk or she would not have offered them rides - 

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Yes, they could load them in her car. Apparently, she didn't feel at risk or she would not have offered them rides - 

They must have looked very neat and clean!

They might have felt a risk getting in a stranger's car.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@fortune  Everything is donated, buildings, food, time, and money.

@blackhole99

This is amazing!!!  I bet the press would be interested in doing a story on this!  It would be an incentive to communities and donors across the U.S.!!  I'm serious.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@elated wrote:

I don't like to see people that are homeless begging for money. It breaks my heart when I see children and dogs. I don't know how they got here. I have heard that many have mental problems. There are job opportunities and companies are having a tough time filling them  I know that retail stores are in need for Holiday help. If they could get a foot in the door, maybe they would get an opportunity to get off the street. I don't think there is an easy solution to this problem.  It is a very sad and humbling situation. I think you can volunteer but that doesn't get them off the street.

Last time I checked, you need an address and a phone number when you apply for a job. Most retail sales jobs do not pay more than 10 dollars an hour if that Check out what the going rate for an apartment is in the city, in my rural area a livable one bed room apartment is 500 dollars a month and that isn't all inclusive. To say this is a problem is putting a happy face on it, I would consider being homeless a nightmare. I guess you would have to be mentally ill to WANT to be homeless. Oh, and we don't take care of our brothers and sisters who are mentally ill either. Those of you posting who know of agencies who help those who are mentally ill and on the streets, please let us know so we can get the word out.

@blackhole99

My cleaning lady and my landscape guy do have access to phones.  They got their jobs with me through a neighborhood refferal and use of an Internet "home service" site.  The landscaper called and came to my home to apply after seeing my job listed on the Internet.  They both live with other people.

I agree with you on the utter lack of services we offer to the mentally ill.  Is is unacceptable!

Trusted Contributor

i am not really worried about becoming homeless but i do wory about the future with this,  it is only by the grace of God go i when it comes to being homeless.

i really feel that as a society we have raised people that don't know how to provide for themselves or they don't want to do so.  we have failed to teach the younger generations that they need to have certain things that they provide for themselves.

but i also think that as a society we ave allowed our government to cater to the rich and powerful and  walk all over the people that do not have money

Honored Contributor

@fortuneI'm glad you were able to help those people out, but your situation is not the norm for homeless people.. As far as the community taking care of the homeless and abused and setting up food banks these models have been  featured many times in our local and regional newspapers and that helps bring in the donations. Folks around here with disposable income seem willing to donate money on a regular basis to keep the homeless off the streets or from pitching tents on their land. Those who have time to spare, mostly retired  folks work at the shelters and food banks, there is a retired accountant and attorney who donate their time and expertise. It's common sense, you just have to have people who care and want to do the work. I'm sure there are other small towns where people care enough about their environment and the people who live there to make helping them out a priority.