Honored Contributor
@YorkieonmyPillow
My mother was a disabled widow with 2 small children. Are you saying that she needed to raise 2 children worrying every month whether a charity would help her pay the bills? What a horrible way to live. It absolutely is the role of government to help.
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

It is the responsibility of we, the people, who employ the government with our tax dollars to provide for the people of this country in safe,appropriate, humane ways. Don't forget, they work for us. Also, the responsibility of the churches we all support with our offerings, to help the poor. I do not believe anyone chooses to be homeless and it's a cop out for those who are selfish and cruel to think and say such a thing. We have food banks in our rural area and shelters for the homeless and abused mothers and children. None of them are government or church supported.

@blackhole99

I'm interested in who pays for the food banks and homeless shelters in your area.

Respected Contributor

So many differing opinions on this subject. IMO, everyone's situation is different. Some want help and some don't. I have been close to being homeless in my lifetime due to illness. Things happen. Illness, fires, floods, earthquakes, etc. One day life is fine, then the next day something can happen and you have nothing. Many reasons for homelessness.

Homelessness is a major issue where I live. City and county officials are addressing the problem, but solutions are not coming fast enough. I don't know what the answer is.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

It is the responsibility of we, the people, who employ the government with our tax dollars to provide for the people of this country in safe,appropriate, humane ways. Don't forget, they work for us. Also, the responsibility of the churches we all support with our offerings, to help the poor. I do not believe anyone chooses to be homeless and it's a cop out for those who are selfish and cruel to think and say such a thing. We have food banks in our rural area and shelters for the homeless and abused mothers and children. None of them are government or church supported.

@blackhole99, odds are that if you researched the books of those homeless shelters they probably do receive federal funding of some sort.  One of the largest sources of federal funding for homeless shelters is provided under the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Grant & the Homeless Prevention & Rapid Re-Housing program that are available.  Additionally there are funds available for homeless shelters that are administered via the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Administration if they provide any support services that meet their qualifications.  Additionally, there are funds provided through the Veterans Administration for shelters that provide services for veterans.  

However, the funding is not adequate to sustain operational expenses. I think it is very common that the majority of shelters  heavily rely on national & local charities or other sources for support.  One of the shelters in my area also relies on volunteer services provided through the local university.  

We have numerous shelters here and every single one of them receives some type of funding through at least one government line that is available.  We also have a shelter specifically dedicated to homeless veterans.  They receive the bulk of their money through the VA with a few other grants coming through HUD.   Although they receive quite a bit of support from charities and other sources, the director would tell you he would have to close down if he lost the VA funding.  Hopefully they won't face that situation any time soon because they do great work there.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Some people do choose to be homeless although I would say a tiny minority......maybe 5%.

But to say "no one" chooses to be homeless is unrealistic.

I don't think it's the government's job to provide for anyone, I think it is the individual's responsibility to provide for themselves and their families....and, when that falls through or the person is unable, the churches should step in along with other caring citizens.

Most people will help someone who is down-and-out.

Well, it seems to be the government's job to tax our income.  The least they can do is put a fraction of it to good use to help these people.  I can't even imagine how much government waste is going on, but we can look into that easily enough.

Abused women with children and no resources need help getting on their feet again.  

Many are veterans who defended this country and came back with PTSD and very little help from that same government who sent them to war.  

As far as churches helping out, they're not doing too good themselves.  People are not attending like they used to and the collection plates are looking a little emptier these days.

Lastly, "most" people don't help those who are down and out.  They don't even look in their direction.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

Pretty sure 10 homes wouldn't fit on 1/2 acre lot..

of course they could......if they were townhomes or condos or small semi detached homes.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@pitdakotaI don't doubt it, I'm just referencing the small local shelters in my region that I know are run by private donations. Evidently what ever the government( we the people) kick in is still not enough anyway.

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

I don't like to see people that are homeless begging for money. It breaks my heart when I see children and dogs. I don't know how they got here. I have heard that many have mental problems. There are job opportunities and companies are having a tough time filling them  I know that retail stores are in need for Holiday help. If they could get a foot in the door, maybe they would get an opportunity to get off the street. I don't think there is an easy solution to this problem.  It is a very sad and humbling situation. I think you can volunteer but that doesn't get them off the street.

Last time I checked, you need an address and a phone number when you apply for a job. Most retail sales jobs do not pay more than 10 dollars an hour if that Check out what the going rate for an apartment is in the city, in my rural area a livable one bed room apartment is 500 dollars a month and that isn't all inclusive. To say this is a problem is putting a happy face on it, I would consider being homeless a nightmare. I guess you would have to be mentally ill to WANT to be homeless. Oh, and we don't take care of our brothers and sisters who are mentally ill either. Those of you posting who know of agencies who help those who are mentally ill and on the streets, please let us know so we can get the word out.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I know of three people personally that are homeless right now. One lives in their car and the other two live in tents. The one living in the car has a job but drinks most of the pay away. One of the tent dwellers is a drug addict and the other person is mentally ill. I think that says a lot about the the kind of people who are homeless...around here anyway.

Honored Contributor

@fortune  Everything is donated, buildings, food, time, and money.