Honored Contributor

Witchy Woman! 

Thanks for the head up on the band, Satisfaction, I will keep them in mind.

Yes, when I saw the Stones at the Academy of Music, we had third row seats a few times.  You could really enjoy the concert.  Also at the time the Stones were just getting on board in America, the Beatles, who I also love, were the big draw.  I too would rather see the Stones up front and close but I am glad they are still drawing crowds, legends of music and they all had great taste in blues songs along with other English groups.

Enjoy your day !!

Honored Contributor

I am an "oldie" but I think there is still good music.  The first person that popped into my mind was Bruno Mars.  There is also Norah Jones, Adele and many more.  

Respected Contributor

Re: music today

[ Edited ]

I mostly love older music. I can’t relate to much of today’s music. Example: Remember when men used to sing about wishing they could talk to a certain girl or love a certain girl? It’s not like that anymore.☹️

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw : That is so cool!   I never got to see Brian Jones, when he died I was only 8!  The first time I got to see them Mick Taylor was already with the band.  I have been a Stones fan since I was 12, even named my kids Angie and Keith!   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchywoman  I have never seen the band Satisfaction but there is another tribute band called the Blushing Brides.  They have been around for many years, I have seen them a few times in the past, they're good too!  

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal 

I will keep an eye out for them.

Thankfully, the smaller venue/club that we frequent in Annapolis, Ramshead Tavern, books lots of tribute bands. 

At first, I discounted them as cheap imitations....However, after having gone to many concerts now featuring different bands, I no longer feel that way.

These musicians put their hearts and souls into the music they (and we) love to hear.  I've never been disappointed!

As a side benefit, the tickets are often inexpensive and we get to book our selected seating.  Not like going to a massive concert.

Tusk is another favorite....Fleetwood Mac tribute band, and Voyager.....a Journey tribute band...lead singer could be Steve Perry's twin brother.  I've seen Journey 3 times, and this band is superb.

While there is nothing like seeing the original, I mostly want to hear the music and remember those years.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: music today

[ Edited ]

@Sooner - your comment gave me a much needed chuckle this morning.

Honored Contributor

People focus too much on days gone by, which is fine.  Long ago bands like the Beatles certainly bring up great memories about where we were and what was going on in life.

Yet there are so many indie performers today that have written lyrics that can touch you deeply and music that brings you to a new level of enjoyment.

I think if people listen to contemporary indie performers you will be awakened to some wonderful performances.

The usual and well-known performers will eventually disappoint; it is better to research the lesser known performers and I guarantee not only will people be surprised but will find many or at least a few new favorites.

Music is about telling a story; and indie performers tell stories without over extending themselves the way some of the more known performers belt out their songs.

Musical styles will always change; there is so much out there but unfortunately concerts in large venues are given to the more well-know bands.

Indies tend to perform in smaller intimate venues which draws the audience into the story and as such become part of what is being sung.

You have to search; who will touch you will surprise you.  It won't be who you thought.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Sooner - your comment gave me a much needed chuckle this morning.

@riley1 Well, if I made you smile, it makes my day!  

Honored Contributor

ILindaSal

Love that you named your children Angie and Keith !!!!!!!!  Yes, those of us who are Stone fans have been so for a long time as they are legends.  Following their music since they first came to the US has been a journey of fun, happiness and interest.  

I think Jagger and Richards were put forth as the leaders but the entire group makes their music what it is.  Enjoy your day !!!!!!!