Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal 

See my post further down to

@spiderw 

Stones were just here, but the venue was huge.  I'm hoping that I can see them some day, but it will have to be a smaller stage Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

He goes online to the library orders the CD's he wants an they are waiting for him at or local library, he also do this with movies and TV shows

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@I am still oxox Never thought of that...good idea

@I am still oxox wrote:

My hubby is 64 and so am I , he had a huge collection of music ranging from Rap to Opera, he downloads a lot of music fro CD's he borrows from the library

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Thanks to the Sirius radio in my car I don't get exposed to popular new music.  I mostly listen to 80s on 8 and Watercolors Jazz stations. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I'm not familiar with that artist but I tend to like most genres of music from all decades......some more than others.  I even like hiphop and light rap.  I do tend to favor groups over a solo artist though as I prefer harmony.

@shoptilyadropagain 

I took notice you use the word "artist". You must be so way way WAY younger than me because I just can't get why....well rappers most especially.....refer to themselves as and are referred to by others as "artists".

@shaggygirl ....I'm 59.  Not sure why I used that term but I do hear it a lot in the music industry.  I follow various "artists" along with music producers, promoters, musicians, etc. on FB.  I also hear that term in various forms of entertainment outlets. I may not care for a particular musical entertainer but I still believe they are artists.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I will say that you don’t even have to sing well or play an instrument to be a recording artist these days. With all the editing, layering and autotune, you could land a recording contract. Not to say there isn’t raw talent but the bar is set lower. 

That said, I listen to it take it for what’s its worth. 

Honored Contributor

I listen to all kinds of music. My favorite kind of music is the kind that comes out of my own personal sound devices...not from my neighbor's loud car stereo or from my next door neighbor's house. 

Respected Contributor

I think every generation has its own music and feels the new crop of musicians are inferior to what they used to listen to.

Fans that njoyed Frank Sinatra probably felt Bing Crosby was too much of a crooner.

Fans of Bobby Darin probably felt Frank Sinatra was too square.

Beatles fans thought Elvis Presley was passe.

Punk Rockers didn't like dinosaur rock bands.

and it goes on n on.

I don't listen to any new music either.  I am a Baby Boomer and grew up during the 70's w/Led Zep, Stones, Beatles, Bowie, Queen, etc...That's what I like.

Bieber, Cyrus, all these flavor of the month Rappers I don't care for.  Cardi B, Nicki Minaj, etc...

I don't like country either.  No Taylor Swift.  If I hear country, I like it to be Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette or Patsy Cline - Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and the like.  Old school.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I am not familiar with that artist but I don't really follow music closely and it is NOT because I am old or decrepit or out of step with the modern world...LOL   I just know what I like and that is what I listen to.  I think the idea that you have to be a particular age to enjoy certain genres of music is ridiculous and doesn't really apply anymore.  It might have been true once but not now.  The absolute biggest Beatles fan I know is a woman I work with and she's in her very early 40's.  She didn't grow up with the Beatles, her parents classical music fans but she said she discovered them on her own in college and fell in love.  My bff who is 70ish has always been a fan of whatever the hotest groups and musicians are.  I don't mean CD's, I'm talking concerts and musical festivals.  I get a kick out of listening to her and my 2 sons in law talking about music and concerts.  Everything is available to us all now so I think we don't get trapped in the music of our generations anymore.  The thing with music is that I think there is no "good" or "bad".  It's like art, there is no "good" or "bad".   It's only matter of what we like, what we enjoy, what speaks to us.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I am not familiar with that artist but I don't really follow music closely and it is NOT because I am old or decrepit or out of step with the modern world...LOL   I just know what I like and that is what I listen to.  I think the idea that you have to be a particular age to enjoy certain genres of music is ridiculous and doesn't really apply anymore.  It might have been true once but not now.  The absolute biggest Beatles fan I know is a woman I work with and she's in her very early 40's.  She didn't grow up with the Beatles, her parents classical music fans but she said she discovered them on her own in college and fell in love.  My bff who is 70ish has always been a fan of whatever the hotest groups and musicians are.  I don't mean CD's, I'm talking concerts and musical festivals.  I get a kick out of listening to her and my 2 sons in law talking about music and concerts.  Everything is available to us all now so I think we don't get trapped in the music of our generations anymore.  The thing with music is that I think there is no "good" or "bad".  It's like art, there is no "good" or "bad".   It's only matter of what we like, what we enjoy, what speaks to us.  

@chrystaltree , so well said !
" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I am also 64, and have been a music lover my entire life. There is only one genre of music I can't really listen to, and that's death metal. Too much screaming. As for today's music, there are good ones and not so good ones. It drives my husband and I crazy when we can't understand even one word of a song. I love Ed Sheeren, Adele, Mumford and Sons. I worked at the local Barnes&Noble for 16 years, 12 of them in the Music Dept. I had the opportunity to listen to a lot of music I probably wouldn't have listened to on my own. I have to say I still listen to a lot of music from the past. Those songs from the '70's take me back to high school and my early twenties. I try to listen to a variety. Oh, and I also love Maren Morris. Her rendition of Elton John's "Mona Lisa and Madhatters" is excellent.