Valued Contributor

mixed emotions/also flu/illness related

I wanted to post this as a stand alone thread, in case it went political and ruined someone else's thread. It is not my intent for this to be political. 

Today was voting day in my state, and I was super proud of the turnout at my polling location!  As I was standing in line at 7:30 a.m., I counted almost 70 people in line ahead of me, and nearly as many behind me. It was also held in my old high school, which was kind of neat. The cafeteria is certainly a lot smaller than I remember it being.

Unfortunately though the number of people coughing, sneezing and otherwise appearing not well was a bit alarming. The young couple behind me with their two children were definitely ill. I felt for them. I also was freaking out a bit because I don't want to catch the flu again and there is no way in a voting line to keep a safe distance. I noticed no wiping down of machines, no hand santizer, wipes available, etc. Yes I had my own in my purse. 

It got me thinking about upcoming "Super Tuesday" and the number of people that will all be in such close quarters to each other. Hopefully others will also think ahead and come as prepared as possible. 

Voting is such a privilege, I don't want anything to ever impact that. I will however look into mail in voting in the future--and that is something I have never done before. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

Re: mixed emotions/also flu/illness related

@SunSprite -

Along with that, I always think the utmost of craziness is having everyone at the pharmacies sign their signature tab thing with the same pen or doctors offices the same or the electronic pads etc.

I usually take a tissue and hold the pen or bring my own.

yeah how bout everyone picking up a prescription for flu or antibiotics handle the same pen, then touch the same antibacterial sanitizer etc.

It's just so stupid!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I signed up for mail-in voting a couple years ago and it is definitely the way to go. 

Valued Contributor

@on the bay I just picked up a prescription two days ago and that never even crossed my mind! You are so right! I will start utilizing my own pen too......wonder why the pharmacy has never thought about that?

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Esteemed Contributor

It is a bit scary. There is probably no way to change things for 2020 but it's time state officials start to come up with easier ways to vote besides waiting in line with a bunch of sick people. It just seems archaic. With so much unknown about this corona virus, we may be getting advice at some point to stay home if at all possible. I have voted in all elections and will vote in the next one. I am in a high risk group because I am 73 and have asthma but I WILL vote. Maybe we all should take advantage of absentee ballots in November.

Respected Contributor

My state allows any registered voter to vote by absentee ballot....no reason needed.

Thats how I vote, and will continue to.

Valued Contributor

@SunSprite @In my state it was caucus day.So we were in a middle school.  Everything went well.  We have mail in ballots and  that seems to work out well.  Yes, we should be so gratefull for the previlage to vote

Honored Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

@on the bay I just picked up a prescription two days ago and that never even crossed my mind! You are so right! I will start utilizing my own pen too......wonder why the pharmacy has never thought about that?

what about the special credit card pens to sign when you are using that at a merchant? of the key pads you have to use on those same machines?

what about the buttons on an ATM?

how about touch screens to place food orders?

what about food delivery services and the delivery drivers?

the mailbox you have to open to get your mail?

all the packages you have delivered by ups, usps, fedex, amazon?

the mechanic who gets in your car to do repairs?

hotel rooms, airplanes, trains, taxis, rideshare, rental cars?

the list is endless.....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Dh and I vote at the board of elections...before the actual election day.

Honored Contributor

My home state uses mail-in ballots.