Super Contributor

I am needing to replace my matress. Is it ok to keep the foundation and just replace matres?s

Respected Contributor

Google the question and you will find many good articles on the subject. There are many variables to consider 

Esteemed Contributor

Linda Davies said it was ok to do it when she was on last week. And I would think it would be, but I'm no expert. I'm thinking about replacing the mattress in my husbands bedroom and if I do I only plan to get the mattress and keep my old box spring. 

Valued Contributor

@crazered - Mattress sets used to be a mattress and box spring.  Now most seem to be a mattress and foundation (wood box covered with nice fabric).  So, it seems to me if your foundation is not "box springs" and you don't mind the cover of the mattress and box spring not matching and if you are able to buy just a mattress, you can probably just purchase a mattress.  Wood (or plastic or whatever hard material the foundation is made of) usually does not wear out.  Or at least not as fast as a box spring which had actual springs in it.

Honored Contributor

It is, but many salespeople will discourage it because they want a bigger sale.

Super Contributor

We had to get new a few years ago, but since they were both over 20 years old we purchased both. I would say depends on the age and condition of your box spring. If it is ok then just buy the mattress but my personal opinion I would buy both especially if you have allergies. Dust mites love mattresses.

Honored Contributor

I will read when I'm ready  -  I know I'm close to needing new -  but I'm thinking the foundation decision is also somewhat reliant on the kind of mattress you want to sleep on.

Trusted Contributor

We did this but the problem we ran into was our new mattress was so tall that we ended up just using the mattress and throwing away the box springs.

Respected Contributor

if the old boxspring is in good shape then I certainly would keep it. The feel of a mattress on a flat wood/solid platform is totally different than a mattress that is supported on a boxspring. 

I have a twin bed that is on a wood platform that is very uncomfortable.

Trusted Contributor

When I replaced my mattress and box spring last year the salesman stated that if you only buy the mattress and not the box spring it would void the warranty.  Don't know if that was just a sales pitch or not.  In any case, I need both.