Trusted Contributor

Re: maryland moving into phase 3 on friday!

@Porcelain The thing is, the counties with the largest population (and those with the highest number of children who are disadvantaged) came up with NO solution for this school semester. Therefore, it will simply be what the offered this past Spring which was proven to be a disaster. Even the richest county in Maryland is only offering virtual classes set up to be a few minutes each day of one or two classes; that's it. The hybrid is a mess as well due to working family members having no way to pick up or drop off children and no place to put them in the mornings or afternoons (due to the split day); therefore ALL schools are ONLY virtual for this Fall. Those who can afford it and organize it are doing PODS (some are paying $10,000 for the Fall semester for all day learning, 5 days a week in a class size no larger than 5).

It's great as to re-opening, numbers going down, etc. but the ball was definitely dropped when it came to education/children. But, being honest....it's always the children that pay the price, you know?

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@Porcelain The thing is, the counties with the largest population (and those with the highest number of children who are disadvantaged) came up with NO solution for this school semester. Therefore, it will simply be what the offered this past Spring which was proven to be a disaster. Even the richest county in Maryland is only offering virtual classes set up to be a few minutes each day of one or two classes; that's it. The hybrid is a mess as well due to working family members having no way to pick up or drop off children and no place to put them in the mornings or afternoons (due to the split day); therefore ALL schools are ONLY virtual for this Fall. Those who can afford it and organize it are doing PODS (some are paying $10,000 for the Fall semester for all day learning, 5 days a week in a class size no larger than 5).

It's great as to re-opening, numbers going down, etc. but the ball was definitely dropped when it came to education/children. But, being honest....it's always the children that pay the price, you know?

I think we're all doing the best we can, to our personal capacity, in an impossible situation. In impossible situations, everyone suffers, including those most precious to us. So I agree with you it is very very hard. I wish perfect, or even great, solutions that were fair to everyone were even possible right now.

Next year or in two years or more it may get better. Things always change and nothing is permanent or forever. Kids will be back in schools, and safe, eventually. Thank goodness they are better than adults at bouncing back. I agree they should not have to.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Congratulations.  Consider it a reward for good behavior.

Honored Contributor

MD has 23 counties and Baltimore City, they will all follow their own executive decisions and not all will be opening this Fri. 

Esteemed Contributor

Most happy.  In our case living on the WV border we always had a BIT more freedom to move about, shop, get haircuts, etc. But very happy Maryland is in Stage 3.  Now I can stay home and enjoy whatever.....

Honored Contributor

With regard to the kids, the Covid schooling arrangements are shining a light on discrepancies between the haves and the have nots that have always been there, unfortunately.
Trusted Contributor

That's great!

Trusted Contributor

@bikerbabe  True but regarding education specifically,  I'm going to put blame where it needs to be and that is on the backs of the HIGHLY paid county executives AND members of the Board of Education for sitting on their butts and doing NOTHING to help the children in their school districts.

I grew up in PG County. It ranges from poorest of the poor to multi-millionaires; always has. It also is known for the corruptness of those in power for as long as I can remember and the ones that pay are the "have nots" as you say (that would have been my family). Every single one of these counties knew they needed to get their act together and instead, just sat back and did nothing. Oh, and when the counties complain of "no money to implement" well, it's amazing how there is PLENTY of it for their bonuses and pay raises. 

Those that can afford it are absolutely going to do whatever they can to provide for their children and there isn't a darn thing wrong with that; that's why we made the choices regarding education, going to college (or not), career choices, etc. No apologies for it. For those who are in the cycle of poverty and can't break it, for those who rely on the services that SHOULD be provided to those who truly can't provide for themselves, it's those in seats of power that are SUPPOSED to be helping them but usually don't. I grew up seeing it, being affected by it and spend my free time fighting it. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Valued Contributor

That's great news.  Here in NY we were divided into regions. My region is in phase 4, however, our  numbers are rising, we've been above 1% for over a week and our County Executive is threatening to close everything back down again.  Most of the positive cases are in the age group 20-29. 

Helen852
Honored Contributor

Sad to see the report on U of M sports teams today.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras