Honored Contributor

Re: manners really table manners

@jeanlake wrote:

Something that came to mind when I read this post -- sometimes we do become more careless about table manners while dining out. I don't know when it happened, but I can no longer sit across the table from my bro-in-law. He's always been a talker but now he talks with his mouth full. Things fly out of his mouth and sometimes you can't understand what he says. I no longer ask him to repeat himself. He didn't used to be like that but perhaps he's relaxed his standards. Nice guy, though.

I remember the family taking dad out to dinner on his 75th birthday. He used to be so polished, but it was disturbing to see how his manners had relaxed. He was a widow for a long while - lived alone - retired. Ate meals in front of the TV. No doubt he didn't put a priority on manners anymore.

Had breakfast with my husband last weekend. I watched him fill his fork up to the brim then open wide and cram the fork in his mouth. This guy wears suits to work and I said -- do you eat like that at work? He said -- it's a breakfast diner. I didn't agree with him. 

Sounds like I'm picking on aging men but this is the group I notice.         

@jeanlake, I think that eating alone at home can lead to, shall we say, a relaxation of manners. I have caught myself eating alone in a way that sometimes borders on disgusting. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

To me, bad table manners are -

1. Slurping loudly

2. Belching

3. Chewing with your mouth open

Things of that nature, that are sickening and/or offensive.

I don't think most people care whether someone else uses the "right" fork or not, LOL.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

France is known for good food and poor manners.

That's a rather sweeping statement!  I think France is known for many things, but poor manners is not one of them.

You've just condemned an entire country.  

Super Contributor

You'll also notice in France children eat with the adults and have excellent eating manners in  the home and in the public.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Well.............you got a bunch of arrows for this posting.  I've noticed when the first response is negative......usually those that follow are negative too.  I've tried to figure that one out.

I agree with you and I don't eat at dumps - but can't afford white napkin $20 plate meals all the time either.  But I see the decline in table manners.

(would you call a Friday fish fry restaurant a dump?)

@fthunt- Just because posters don't agree with an OP (any OP) doesn't mean the responses are negative, nor that everyone is jumping in to criticize.

Once a topic is posted, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.  Nothing to figure out.  If a poster doesn't want diverse opinions, there's an easy answer. 

Some of the responses here have given me a much needed laugh today!  Not everyone is taking it that seriously.

Honored Contributor

@Reilley wrote:

You'll also notice in France children eat with the adults and have excellent eating manners in  the home and in the public.

@Reilley- Exactly!  My nephew was born in Paris and lived there for the first five years of his life.  My brother and SIL always took him along, when they went out to eat.

He would, even at that young age, order his own food in French and he knew how to behave.  (He still does!)  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Here are some interesting customs from around the world.

I think some people here would faint if they saw any of these happen.

But as they say, "When in Rome....."

https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/burping-good-manners-and-other-etiquette-surprises-around-world-...

We were dining in Athens Greece at an outdoor restaurant.  Everything was beautiful and the food was delicious.  I was so absorbed in the wonderful mood and atmosphere, until a lady at the next table dumped olive oil from a beautiful ceramic bottle with a metal pour spout into her hand over and over again contaminating the bottle and oil by rubbing the contents  over her arms and legs....like Josie Maren, then touching the pour spout again with her hands to double dip.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Here are some interesting customs from around the world.

I think some people here would faint if they saw any of these happen.

But as they say, "When in Rome....."

https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/burping-good-manners-and-other-etiquette-surprises-around-world-...

We were dining in Athens Greece at an outdoor restaurant.  Everything was beautiful and the food was delicious.  I was so absorbed in the wonderful mood and atmosphere, until a lady at the next table dumped olive oil from a beautiful ceramic bottle with a metal pour spout into her hand over and over again contaminating the bottle and oil by rubbing the contents  over her arms and legs....like Josie Maren, then touching the pour spout again with her hands to double dip.

OK........now THAT’s disgusting!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I honestly couldn't even tell anyone what other people do. I eat my meal and leave. I don't linger, and I don't pay any attention to the other diners.

Esteemed Contributor

During the last year of my dad's life, his table manners had declined greatly.

I didn't repremand him or anything, I just let him be, because I sensed that our time together was growing short.

I'd give anything to have one more meal with my dad.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.