Trusted Contributor

Re: man wins qvc refund battle after tragedy

If anyone wants to purchase Denium and Co, Joan Rivers and Kenneth J Lane - just a tiny sampling of QVC merchdise - go to the auctions.  

There is so much QVC merchandise it is scary.  

I am hoping for QVC this does not become the norm to return merchandise of deceased family members.

Honored Contributor

@Moretofollow wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Before I read the entire thread and viewed the link, my first thought was that this was for auto-delivery that QVC wouldn't cancel and he was returning those items and wanted a refund, etc.

Viewed the link: all items are going to charity as WELL as the refund he received. So... what, exactly, was his motive? Why not just give it all to charity and write it off? Why the refund, especially as he isn't going to keep it?

She was dead 2 days after going into the hospital, were married for 50 years, love of his life and he's worried about returning packages from QVC? Something doesn't add up to ME.

But I'm a cynic, so...

@SahmIam When someone passes and you need to remove the deceased person's clothes, etc it becomes a daunting task.  I'm sure it was overwhleming to him to also see many unopened boxes - It probably made him angry too.  Of course it was not Qvc's problem but they did agree to refund him until they didn't.  

My stepmom had no online accounts but she held onto clothing and just stuff from her days as a legal secretary in the 70's and 80's and it was a huge - no massive undertaking to get rid of all of it....a laborious task going through each and every piece and it made me angry as it was time consuming and backbreaking.  I still grieved for her and continue to do so but that doesn't change any other emotion you may be feeling at the time.  

I'm fully aware of that as I've done it twice; hence my original reply.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sktchy wrote:

If anyone wants to purchase Denium and Co, Joan Rivers and Kenneth J Lane - just a tiny sampling of QVC merchdise - go to the auctions.  

There is so much QVC merchandise it is scary.  

I am hoping for QVC this does not become the norm to return merchandise of deceased family members.

I think it would be interesting to know the exact demographics of Qvc returns.  I'm sure they have all fthe following information.  

What percent of Missey returns clothing,

What percent of Plus size returns clothing.

What percent of Petites returns clothing.

What percent of Regular returns clothing.

What percent of Talls returns clothing.

What percent of Logo gets returned..

What percent of Isaac Mizrahi gets returned

What percent of Susan Graver gets returned.

What percent of Halston gets returned.

What percent of Dennis Basso gets returned.

What percent of Clinton Kelly gets returned.

What percent of Gili gets returned.

Next category...handbags

Next category...jewelry

Next category...shoes

Next category...electronics

Next category....home products

Next category...beauty

Next category...Deceased Returns by family members.....pretty sure it's the lowest % in every category.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moretofollow wrote:

@DoxieMomma wrote:

Again, this is NOT shopping channels fault. The person has to be declared of not sound mind and her family has to step in to cut off her credit cards. Otherwise all of us other diligent shoppers will be absorbing the returns/complaints of people who are buying stuff they cannot afford & I do not think that is right or fair. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF & STOP BLAMING COMPANIES FOR YOUR OWN FAILINGS.

@ILOVE ME Wow!  Cap locks!  lol

Qvc agreed to the refund until they didn't so he contacted his local tv station.  I'm sure corporate did not fire or reprimand anyone at Qvc yet here you are screaming. Too funny. 

@Lovingq I agree with you on this. Doxiemomma says "STOP BLAMING COMPANIES FOR YOUR OWN FAILINGS" but the problem with that reasoning is that it wasn't his failing. He called the company and was given instructions on what to do. The rep could have easily explained the 30 day policy, but for whatever reason chose to make a decision to say everything would be refunded. 

He did exactly what he was told to do by the QVC rep--he wrote a letter, boxed up the packages, and he mailed them. The failing was on part of the company rep not the man. So, I guess I do agree with the statement "take responsibility for your own failings" but I just see the failing as being on the part of the company rep and not the man.

I'm glad they decided to make good on the decision. Of course they told him to go ahead and keep the items they had sent back to him, probably not out of the goodness of their hearts but because otherwise they'd have to suck up all the return fees yet again. Better to send the check they had already promised and be done with it. 

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I remember when my sister in laws sister passed away, her husband invited my sister over along with some of his wives good friends to go through the numerous QVC, and HSN boxes that had never been opened...I also have a friend, well we used to be good friends, but hardly ever see each other now, anyway she was ordering so much from QVC that she had several garage sales and had all sorts of goodies for a steal..High thread count sheets, makeup and skincare that had never been opened, Valerie items,Christmas decor,etc.....Some people I think get a thrill out of ordering and getting the boxes......   

Remember when Qvc sold Marie Osmond dolls and a line of teddy bears?  A woman I know had grandmother who never let any family members go up to the second floor of her house.  Her house was clean and neat and well cared for on the first floor, so they didn't give it much thought.  When she passed away, they discovered 100's of those dolls and bears in all the rooms upstairs.  Most in boxes that had never been opened; they were everywhere.  Piled high in the rooms, stuffed in the closets.  She also had scores of Madam Alexander dolls which were very expensive at the time.  The woman had a loving family and friends and active life for someone her age.  So, no one could understand her obsession.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Moretofollow wrote:

@DoxieMomma wrote:

Again, this is NOT shopping channels fault. The person has to be declared of not sound mind and her family has to step in to cut off her credit cards. Otherwise all of us other diligent shoppers will be absorbing the returns/complaints of people who are buying stuff they cannot afford & I do not think that is right or fair. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF & STOP BLAMING COMPANIES FOR YOUR OWN FAILINGS.

@ILOVE ME Wow!  Cap locks!  lol

Qvc agreed to the refund until they didn't so he contacted his local tv station.  I'm sure corporate did not fire or reprimand anyone at Qvc yet here you are screaming. Too funny. 

@Lovingq I agree with you on this. Doxiemomma says "STOP BLAMING COMPANIES FOR YOUR OWN FAILINGS" but the problem with that reasoning is that it wasn't his failing. He called the company and was given instructions on what to do. The rep could have easily explained the 30 day policy, but for whatever reason chose to make a decision to say everything would be refunded. 

He did exactly what he was told to do by the QVC rep--he wrote a letter, boxed up the packages, and he mailed them. The failing was on part of the company rep not the man. So, I guess I do agree with the statement "take responsibility for your own failings" but I just see the failing as being on the part of the company rep and not the man.

I'm glad they decided to make good on the decision. Of course they told him to go ahead and keep the items they had sent back to him, probably not out of the goodness of their hearts but because otherwise they'd have to suck up all the return fees yet again. Better to send the check they had already promised and be done with it. 

But the thing is, anyone with any decency never would have made the call in the first place asking for the refund.  They would have just donated the items.  

Esteemed Contributor

"But the thing is, anyone with any decency never would have made the call in the first place asking for the refund.  They would have just donated the items." @Lipstickdiva

And we each have a right to our opinion. Mine is different than yours. I see nothing wrong with a man finding a pile of unused, unopened, packages calling to see if they could be returned. He was told yes and he acted accordingly.

This is not meant for @Lipstickdiva, but just a general comment regarding the subject:

I also don't see how people can determine the amount of love or grief a man feels for his decreased wife based on how he chooses to clear her belongings. Not everyone grieves, or behaves, in the same way. The fact that it isn't "your" way doesn't make it wrong. 

Valued Contributor

Some people get really funny about money. Families break up over money. Crimes petty and major are committed because of money. This story certainly casts a shadow over him but not her. He didn't hurt loved ones' memories of his wife but did tarnish his own reputation. Probably everyone who knows him already knew this about him. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

"But the thing is, anyone with any decency never would have made the call in the first place asking for the refund.  They would have just donated the items." @Lipstickdiva

And we each have a right to our opinion. Mine is different than yours. I see nothing wrong with a man finding a pile of unused, unopened, packages calling to see if they could be returned. He was told yes and he acted accordingly.

This is not meant for @Lipstickdiva, but just a general comment regarding the subject:

I also don't see how people can determine the amount of love or grief a man feels for his decreased wife based on how he chooses to clear her belongings. Not everyone grieves, or behaves, in the same way. The fact that it isn't "your" way doesn't make it wrong. 

I agree with you,@SusieQ_2.

True story.

My mom passed in December of 2000. 

I had already bought her her Christmas presents, when she passed away.

Since I had no use for the items that I had bought, I took them back to the store for a refund.

Does that make me "cold" and "money hungry"?

No, it just was the logical thing to do, in my mind, when I was in that state of mourning.

It was one of the hardest things that I ever had to do.

Honored Contributor

While this man is no doubt grief-stricken, that does not negate the fact I think he is cheap.  His wife purchased these items, therefore they were part of her estate, the same as the clothes that hung in her closet.