Respected Contributor

@icezeus   I have had the same thing happen with returned mail even though the address was correct.  I, especially, had this occur with  about 3 or 4 of my holiday cards. Very frustrating.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

I can point to the post office as something the government ran better.  At least back in the day.

Also, people have gotten the idea mail is basically free and are surprised when they get bottom drawer service. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I can point to the post office as something the government ran better.  At least back in the day.

Also, people have gotten the idea mail is basically free and are surprised when they get bottom drawer service. 

It was a part of the Executive Branch until it was reorganized in the early 1970's. The Post Master General was a cabinet position. I wonder why they changed it? Maybe it needs to be unchanged. It is a service, not a for profit business.

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

I love informed delivery.  Since I can see that its only junk I only walk down to my box about once a week. 

I receive all of my bills online. 

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

It was a part of the Executive Branch until it was reorganized in the early 1970's. The Post Master General was a cabinet position. I wonder why they changed it? Maybe it needs to be unchanged. It is a service, not a for profit business.

@On It Because people complained and didn't want to spend another nickle and were outraged that the mail came to the door every day I guess.  I hate to think what FedEx would do with the mail, but I guess it will come to that. 

So the govt. said let them eat cake with their nickle stamp and it was privatized--like an awful lot of government functions you don't hear about. 

The post office has always been what people complain about--that and the weather.  It's like this board--no matter what happens people will complain.  Good, mediocre or terrible, the complaints will be the same.  It's a popular past time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@On It    I recently read that the only way to get rid of him is for the USPS Board of Directors to fire him.  Even the President can't fire him, so the Board needs to get on the ball. 

I am confused whether or not they have enough votes to do it. The board members were appointed as well. Does the majority still support him and his agenda?

@On It,  as of late May or early June the balance of the Board was 5/4.  I don't know if simple majority votes carry or if 2/3 is needed.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@On It    I recently read that the only way to get rid of him is for the USPS Board of Directors to fire him.  Even the President can't fire him, so the Board needs to get on the ball. 

I am confused whether or not they have enough votes to do it. The board members were appointed as well. Does the majority still support him and his agenda?

@On It    I have no idea but the fact that he's still there tells me they probably do.

The USPS undoubted needs some work but DeJoy doesn't seem like he's the guy to do it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: mail delivery

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

@catter70 , I had along talk with my letter carrier Jim about this. He actually has the habit of telling warning us when his vacation or next day off will be if we're outside as he walks through the neighbourhood.

Jim tells me they're actually adequately staffed, but it isn't unusual for a surprising number of them to call in at least one day every week. He does our route first, then the area he's covering for the absentee is done later.

This also affects those who see one employee trying to tend to customers, phones, and sorting at their local post office. There should be three or four there but the others are out covering a delivery route for an absentee.

He tells me how frustrating it is for them as employees, and knows it is for customers too. Their hands are tied because the union backs up the employees who are constantly absent, and that causes resentment & encourages even more of them to blow off a workday "just because".

@x Hedge 

What you said goes along with what our good mail carrier said ..... She always gave everyone in our area EXCELLENT service, but whenever she went for her yearly Army Reserve Duty, it all went kaput...so she would warn us each year when that occurred....and to quote her----"My co-workers are a bunch of IDIOTS".....She got tired of it all and quit, and decided to go into the military full time....Now I get other peoples mail and packages if they are delivered at all...I joke with my neighbors I feel like I work part time for USPS...😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I read that DeJoy also wants to eliminate air freight to process mail.  That would mean mail for me coming to NY from California would go by mail truck across 3,000 miles - probably at least 5 or 6 days.  Then it would have to be processed in Jersey City, NJ Distribution Center, then on to the head post office in Westchester County, then to my local post office.  This is just ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

Re: mail delivery

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

In the last three week I received only 2 pieces of mail I even opened and they were superfluous as the info was on my accounts online.  Everything else was junk, advertisements, circulars, catalogs etc.  What a waste of paper and manpower delivering all this junk.

I agree. Everyday I check Imformed Delivery and it's been nothing but junk mail for several days. I think I've only had one piece to actually open. Usually I'm tearing it up as I walk back from the mailbox just to throw it in the recycle bin. 

@Meowingkitty 

I agree, me too--- what I get is 95% junk mail....Ive even written to the organizations and charities I do business with telling them I handle my bills online and that I get all the info I need via etheir mails or I go to their website to stay informed so they can save money and STOP THE JUNK MAIL!!!  It hasn't helped....WHAT A WASTE for the business/organization an unnecessary expense, as well as all the time and effort it takes the USPS to sort and deliver the junk that goes immediately into the recycle bin....Id rather them focus on packages and NON-JUNK MAIL and see that these items are delivered PROPERLY!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”