Occasional Contributor

It's a FRIED night at my house for dinner, I actually like this, fried bologna, fried potatoes, fried green tomatoes, corn on the cob. 

Formerly Tatz
Respected Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Hi, I just wing it.

I spirialize on to paper towels and pat to dry, then I put the zuchinni in the pan with olive oil and  whatever else I have. I had some pancetta so I sauteed it first in some olive oil then dumped the squash in and the tomatoes cooked for about two minutes, then added garlic last so it wouldnt burn. cooked another minute or so.Olives and onion and whatever is in the veggie drawer make it wonderful.

I dump it into plates and then add the parmasean cheese. Oh, last week I used some frozen shrimp and added a bit of butter and lemon and capers. Just about anything you would do with pasta you can do with the zuchinni. Last winter I did a lot of spag sauce, and also meatballs. I am diabetic so this invention is a delicious God send.

YUM!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

Hi Demitra,

Posting to suggest a few ways to avail yourself of diabetic healthy eating info.

1) Many of the larger health insurers will cover diabetic nutritional classes. (@ no charge usually held in medical facilities).

2) The American Diabetes Association has a fine web site and also offers a magazine which has lots of good recipes.

3) Weight Watchers is an excellent program for daibetics ( The M.D. I work for advised this program for non extreme diabetics).

HTH

Trusted Contributor

@Kix wrote:

It's a FRIED night at my house for dinner, I actually like this, fried bologna, fried potatoes, fried green tomatoes, corn on the cob. 

GROSS.

Honored Contributor

@demitra wrote:

Hi HennyPenny,

I'm going to try this tonight.....if I have the energy. Been cleaning most of the day.

i found out almost 3 months ago that I am diabetic. I have my first A1C coming up after I started eating healthier. I will be super disappointed if it is not better than when first tested, which was an 8.

i have also lost 15 pounds. I am not eating bread, pasta, potatoes, or corn at all, or sweats of any kind. It actually hasn't been that hard. I am conflicted however on some foods. I google and get even more confused. For example. Do you eat blueberries, strawberries, or apples? Some sights say they are ok while other sites say no fruit at all. 

I was eating peanut for protein at breakfast, but learned that was a no no. 

I think I could follow any meal plan, it's just knowing what to do. I will be seeing my Dr after my blood test, but he wasn't too helpful in that regard when he first told me my diagnosis. I have been doing all of this on my own.

Any tips on what you eat will be appreciated as well as any advice.

TIA,

Demitra

I agree with the poster who suggested looking into recipes from Diabetic Living online.  Also, most Weight Watcher recipes will work for you.  There are a lot of online food bloggers who create and share healthy recipes.  

GOOD LUCK!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Hi Demitra, loosing the weight is wonderful.

First of all I want to tell you that my bible is the pocket book called THE CALORIE KING CALORIE  FAT AND CARBOHYDRATE COUNTER.

It is an absolute must buy. check out amazon or a local bookstore. They update it every couple of years. It has the carb count for all foods including some fast foods.

After using it for a few months you will have an idea of what is okay and what isn't. I keep it at home, but i know people have two copies and keep one in their purses.

I went to classes at Sansome clinic's diabetic program. One of the foremost in the country. Our instructor told us to eat between 30 and 45 carbs a meal. 

I was very strict in the beginning. I was so scared.

I have since added in a bit of fruit.  half a plum, a quarter of a granny smith apple, eight cherries and blueberries are okay in moderation too. I am cautious. and when I eat one of those things i have a bit of cheese at the same time to balance. It makes a good snack which should be between 15 and 30 carbs. 

You will feel so much better when you have that little book to guide you. 

I felt lost before I took the class. I thought I could have no carbs. But some of the "good" kind are necessary to keep a balance.

Do you test at home?  Are you on any meds?

I test first thing in the morning and then two hours after dinner. I  am supposed to be below 100 in the am first thing. and then after dinner below 150. 

I think with all that you are doing you will have a better A1c.  I keep kind bars and cartons of childrens juice in the car as my sugar sometimes will drop if I don't have lunch on time. I buy the lower carb kind bars from the Q.

When you go back to your doctor ask him if they have any classes at any of the clinics in your area.

It is funny. I am not missing the sweets. 

I buy the laura scudders plain peanut butter. no sugar.

But check everything with the book when you get it.

nuts are a good snack. My favorite breakfast is an over easy egg, half a piece of grainy toast and either artichoke hearts or a bit of sausage or bacon. It is a feast. I used to just have coffee. so it is very different having to eat three meals and snacks.

If you have any other questions I can let you know what I do.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Hi, I just wing it.

I spirialize on to paper towels and pat to dry, then I put the zuchinni in the pan with olive oil and  whatever else I have. I had some pancetta so I sauteed it first in some olive oil then dumped the squash in and the tomatoes cooked for about two minutes, then added garlic last so it wouldnt burn. cooked another minute or so.Olives and onion and whatever is in the veggie drawer make it wonderful.

I dump it into plates and then add the parmasean cheese. Oh, last week I used some frozen shrimp and added a bit of butter and lemon and capers. Just about anything you would do with pasta you can do with the zuchinni. Last winter I did a lot of spag sauce, and also meatballs. I am diabetic so this invention is a delicious God send.

This sounds great!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••