Respected Contributor

I have a question about these drive-up mailboxes... are they at the bottom of each home's driveway?  You can't park a car in front of your house either because then they can't pull up to the mailbox?  Or do they just say to leave a certain of number of feet clear?

Honored Contributor

@sue bee wrote:

So today we had several inches of snow but our lane is plowed but our mail lady stopped at the end of it took one look at it at kept going. She could've made it.  It's not like there's a lot of snow on the lane. I got mad so I called the Post Office and they are going to talk to the Delivery Supervisor and see what he can do. i'm not expecting them to do much so I doubt they'd send her back out to deliver mail to our lane. She didn't even go up so nobody on our lane got mail. I could understand if there was no mail for me but I find it hard to believe that no one on our lane had no mail. Our old mail man would've went up but not her. Needed to vent so thanks for listening.

@sue bee

I only read the first page of comments, so if this has come up already I apologize.

I'm not sure what you mean by "lane".    Is this the walkway up to your front door?   Or is this what you are calling your street?   It makes a big difference in how many would respond.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I hate to always be the lone dissenter, but will it really ruin your weekend, or your holiday season if you don't get mail one day?   Perhaps the delivery person did not feel safe considering how the street may have looked to her/him. Whatever the reason, I think you and yours will survive until your mail comes on Monday.

For me, I'd just blow it off and enjoy my weekend.  I know I'd feel really bad if someone were injured trying to deliver a bunch of mail to me just because it's Saturday.  And shame on the Postal Service if it fires people just at the holidays - especially because they were extra careful. I'm not sure it was the right thing to do to "turn her in".  

@Perkup

You're definitely not the lone dissenter .... so move over.    

I grew up in Buffalo NY and am very familiar with large piles of snow made even larger by snow plows clearing the streets.   Many times I remember the streets were clear to drive on, but there was still a LOT of snow around the mail boxes, making it difficult (or impossible) to open and put the mail in.

I really don't understand missing one day's mail delivery.  The ONLY exceptions would be:  If I was expecting some very perishable food .....  OR some diamond jewelry ..... OR a check from Publisher's Clearing House!    Oh, sorry, PCH delivers the checks themselves!  lol   Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

My youngest son is a mail carrier. He lives here with me during the week, spends the weekends at his girlfriends. Anyway, last month his foot went out from under him on someones wet steps and now a month later he's still in a cast and on crutches with 9 screws and a metal plate in his lower leg. In addition to fractures his ankle was dislocated. It hasn't been easy. This has nothing to do with the original post but only mentioning it because there are a multitude of hazards to the job. He still isn't supposed to put weight on it, hoping he'll soon be in a walking boot. Surgeon says it'll probably be April before he can return to his job. This has nothing to do with the original post, only mentioning it because there are hazards to the job. I think he's been bitten by dogs 3 times now. Yeesh. And yes, those trucks are WICKED to drive in the snow. I pace and fret till he's safely home during snow and ice days, don't have that to worry about this winter.

@shaggygirl I am so sorry about what happened to your son.  I unfortunately had Leaf Guard gutters installed a few years ago and while they are great that I don't have to clean them out they are an absolute nightmare in the winter as they quickly freeze up and any cement below them is an ice rink . . . I work very hard to try and keep the ice off of my porch but even as I am throwing down more ice melt, it freezes up and creates a larger mess . . . my mailman and I have agreed to put a cardboard box out on the bottom step so he can safely drop the mail off.  Good thoughts and prayers to your son for a speedy recovery.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is rude to another poster

Honored Contributor

Had you already given her a Christmas gift?  Or was she miffed because you hadn't?  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

No offense to anyone here who is a letter carrier or related to one but in general they are the most pampered and demanding of all delivery people. We had an epic winter a couple of years ago and yes we have a driveway plow guy. But I still have to shovel two walks and sets of stairs, about 10 feet by six feet in front of a garage, and rake a roof. So that winter our letter carrier one day refused to put mail in the box. He had put a notice in the box detailing crazy demands for how the box is to be cleared of snow. I was steaming mad and walked across the street and asked him for our mail. I explained that I was the only snow removal person and doing it with a shovel.

I called the post office to complain and the woman actually told me that the letter carriers shouldn't have to stretch to get to the box! I said honestly my back is broken from shoveling practically every day  and stretching to do so so I don't care.

He did show up today in snow. It is awfully tough to keep a mailbox and mailbox path clear when the plows push it all back in constantly.  There are people who get very important mail such as prescription refills and can't get to the post office to get them. He's a nice guy and has a tough  job in the winter but I do too. My snow removal can't be all about making his job easier. As I tried to explain to him in a nice way that year.

Maybe because the post office is a quasi Federal agency? And maybe unionized, not sure. But UPS and Fed Ex never make these kinds of demands.

UPS and Fed Ex get the "cream" of the delivery service.  They don't have to deliver to every house every day and they don't handle "junk" mail.  It takes a LOT of time to work and distribute that stuff.  And the Post Office gets left with the less profitable stamped letters and junk mail to every house.  So, think about how much mail does get delivered 6 days a week to everybody, pretty much on time, and little of it goes missing.  Considering the volume.  It's an amazing feat if you ask me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

My youngest son is a mail carrier. He lives here with me during the week, spends the weekends at his girlfriends. Anyway, last month his foot went out from under him on someones wet steps and now a month later he's still in a cast and on crutches with 9 screws and a metal plate in his lower leg. In addition to fractures his ankle was dislocated. It hasn't been easy. This has nothing to do with the original post but only mentioning it because there are a multitude of hazards to the job. He still isn't supposed to put weight on it, hoping he'll soon be in a walking boot. Surgeon says it'll probably be April before he can return to his job. This has nothing to do with the original post, only mentioning it because there are hazards to the job. I think he's been bitten by dogs 3 times now. Yeesh. And yes, those trucks are WICKED to drive in the snow. I pace and fret till he's safely home during snow and ice days, don't have that to worry about this winter.

@shaggygirl I am so sorry about what happened to your son.  I unfortunately had Leaf Guard gutters installed a few years ago and while they are great that I don't have to clean them out they are an absolute nightmare in the winter as they quickly freeze up and any cement below them is an ice rink . . . I work very hard to try and keep the ice off of my porch but even as I am throwing down more ice melt, it freezes up and creates a larger mess . . . my mailman and I have agreed to put a cardboard box out on the bottom step so he can safely drop the mail off.  Good thoughts and prayers to your son for a speedy recovery.

Thank you. And another thing about the Leaf Guard gutter things....icicles, do you get giant ones hanging? OMG, I do.

Respected Contributor

We have giant icicles, too, on our Leaf Guard gutters.  My husband and I throw snowballs at them to knock them down and keep score who gets the most lol

Honored Contributor

Does anyone know (ballpark)  how much mail carriers make?

Every few years I see a story on the news where a mail carrier got so fed up they took a whole batch of mail and threw the whole darn thing out!    Of course, they were either on camera ... or someone found the dumped mail.   Makes me suspect they don't need to pass any psychological profiles!