Frequent Contributor

I was wondering if any of you viewers have been having the same problem with locknlock as I have.  If I put put something in the freezer in my locknlock, when I remove whatever I have frozen, the container is cracked.  So disappointing, because then my locknlock is ruined.  It is suppose to be freezer safe.  That is my only complaint, otherwise, it is my favorite item that QVC sells, and I have tons.  

Honored Contributor

@little missy wrote:

I was wondering if any of you viewers have been having the same problem with locknlock as I have.  If I put put something in the freezer in my locknlock, when I remove whatever I have frozen, the container is cracked.  So disappointing, because then my locknlock is ruined.  It is suppose to be freezer safe.  That is my only complaint, otherwise, it is my favorite item that QVC sells, and I have tons.  

The products are not what they used to be.  I had many and got rid of them due to not holding up.  I stopped purchase a while ago, along with Temptations.  

Honored Contributor

You're not running warm/hot water on it to release the food are you?  That will break plastic because it becomes much more rigid upon freezing.   Applying ANY heat to the frozen plastic and it will naturally crack or break.  It's not a L&L problem.  It's just a frozen plastic problem.  Smiley Happy

Dropping them will cause breakage, also, since they are so rigid at that point.

I do a LOT of freezing in L&L and some of it is to pop the food out so I can vacuum seal it.   But, I know you can't warm it up at that point.  I just put the L&L upside down on the counter and start, gently, pushing on the bottom with the heel of my hand, every few minutes, to get it to release sooner.  

Honored Contributor

@little missy 

Sounds like you are overfilling the container and allowing no room for expansion as the food freezes.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@little missy 

Sounds like you are overfilling the container and allowing no room for expansion as the food freezes.   

I re-read the OP and this makes much more sense than what I said, in your particular scenario.  

Frequent Contributor

NO, it is when I take the locknlock directlly out of the freezer, that the locknlock container with my frozen food is cracked.  I do not fill the containers full, nor do I run hot water on the containers.  I am saying when I first take my locknlock out of the freezer the container is cracked.  I had a lid on a large locknlock bowl that was also cracked when I first took it out of the freezer, but the locknlock company replaced the lid.  Maybe, the responder that stated that locknlock isn't like it use to be, may have a point.  It is too bad.  That is actually the only problem I have experienced.

Honored Contributor

I have hundreds of L&L and haven't had any problems with product quality.  One more thing occurred to me and that is that maybe somebody knocked something into the container, in the freezer, and that caused it to crack.

I really don't think they will just crack from being frozen.  There has to either be some sort of impact or it was subjected to heat.

You can probably get it replaced but I've been hearing that replacements take a lot longer in recent years.   I have a seal I broke (my fault) and wish I could get it replaced but I haven't tried with the L&L folks.  I just keep hoping I see one for sale and just buy it and be done with it.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I don't have a great deal of L&L but the ones that I do have are wonderful.  I have a set of 4 square nesting containers with the handle on the largest one.  The various sizes have served me well for storing leftovers, bigger batches of American chop suey and the like.

I also have a couple of clear containers for bread, rolls and stuff like that.

I don't know why, but I never have put the plastic L&L in the freezer so I can't really say

whether it holds up or not.  I did, however, just get some great glass L&L with little vents to allow air to escape in the microwave.  I have put hot homemade tomato sauce into these and then placed them directly into the freezer.  When I take them out-frozen solid-

I pop them straight into the microwave and the sauce is ready in minutes.

Perhaps for freezing you should get some of the glass containers and use the plastic for pantry and refrigerator.  Both types are great performers for me!

Respected Contributor

I agree with @RedTop  that you might be overfilling the container.  Foods containing liquid expand as they freeze, so room must be left for that to happen safely.

I also agree with the suggestion that too much shock to the containers might be occurring if the frozen item is suddenly subjected to heat.

I often freeze very small  amounts of food in L&L containers  and glass containers, then  let them sit on the counter for an hour or so before subjecting them to warm/hot water or any heat.

I've owned some of my L&L items for many years and  think I've had no problems with them at all because they're never put into the microwave.

Valued Contributor
I freeze things in mine and haven’t had any problems so far