Honored Contributor

Re: living alone during the pandemic

@gellen wrote:

for me it is a nay!

@gellen 

What???   You wouldn't want to live alone ....  or are you saying you do, and don't like it?    So,  don't.   You create your life with every action you take.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gellen wrote:

for me it is a nay!

@gellen 

What???   You wouldn't want to live alone ....  or are you saying you do, and don't like it?    So,  don't.   You create your life with every action you take.  

What? is what I'm wondering about your response. Yikes. 

Respected Contributor

I rescued a second dog last summer as my guy is getting up in years and do not want to be totally alone. We go to the dog park daily if possible and easy to distance.

I haven't dated for at least three years. I have been alone 17 years as divorced a cheating husband. It is alot less stress not dating. Unfortunately I have no family as was an only child and raised my ex's girls fulltime.

I am now in my late 60s.I received Happy Birthday email  this week from a man I used to enjoy seeing. We got along well.  I haven't seen him in about four years.

He did not want to invest the time and No Call/No Show three times. I could have accepted a sorry can't make it but nothing!! I replied and  thanked him for remembering and updated him on my life and travels. He asked if he could take me to dinner when he came to the area? I reminded him of being stood up three times. The apology was years too late.

I don't have to clean my house for company or try and look nice for someone. Sure, I would love some companionship but thankyou, no thankyou. Being alone can be freeing. I admire those who have nice marriages and families.I am not around very many people and don't think about being alone during the Pandemic any more than usual.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have my 2 dogs to keep me company.  If I still lived with my ex-husband, he would have gotten on my nerves big-time and I probably would have killed him by now.  I can appreciate being alone and count my blessings.

I couldn't survive without my little lhasa!!! Life has become almost unbearable - how much worse can things get -  but looking at her face every day brings me hope!!!!

Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me a bit.  I've lived alone since early 1990s.  But - I'm in a busy urban area.  It would probably drive me nuts if I lived in quiet suburbs.

I live in a high-rise apt. building in NYC and I see people everyday - laundry room, at the mailboxes, in the park on the street.  Occasionally, some friends and I will meet at the park.  

• When outdoor dining started - I've been out to eat a couple of times with a friend.  

• We had a fairly good size birthday party at the park for one of our group.

• Church re-opened July 4th weekend - so I see friends there every week and have chance to chat.   
  • One group I belong to has regular Zoom meetings.

• I run into people I know on the street, in the park, waiting for the bus, at the Deli, at Chipotle.   

On the upside - early on in the house arrest - I got so many things done around here that I had been putting off because they were "biggish" projects and I didn't want to start something involved.  Now - they are all done!

Respected Contributor

Obviously there are special challenges to being alone now.  But... especially at the beginning when there were food and supply shortages...I was grateful I didn't have a spouse, children or pets depending on me.  I know I can get by in an emergency with a box of crackers and jar of peanut butter....but I would have been a wreck worrying about providing nutritious meals for a family, special food a pet might need, or meds that might be scarce.

Respected Contributor

@alicedee  That is a good point and we only had to find enough TP for one. Something to be thankful for and I am lucky my dogs don't eat special food.

Honored Contributor

I do not live alone, but @Jordan2  mentioned my biggest fear of ever being alone and that is having a sudden medical emergency and not being able to get help. Once when I was single, I got ill in the middle of the night and had to call a relative to come over and take me to an emergency room. It was awful being alone at night while I recovered. 

Esteemed Contributor

I live alone with my dogs for company.  I don't stay home if there is somewhere I want to go.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who knows what's right for everyone.  I tend to look at things as " I do what I gotta do and try to bloom where I'm planted". My mother will be 91 next month.  I have observed these motto's in her life and am inspired by them.  I doubt I can do as well as she does (she's got 20 yrs. on me!!) but I've made up my mind to try the best I can.   It just feels better.