Respected Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

My friend looked into getting rid of the stray cats she fed.  She just wanted to feed them, but they just got to be more and more cats.  The shelters will only take cute  cats.  Because the shelters say -we don't kill our animals - they only take adoptable pets.  And it's not like she can call anyone and say "I'm sorry, I fed a couple of cats, and they multiplied and I can't deal with it anymore.

@stuyvesant

There are always more cats.  She can only do what she can do.  I'm sorry Cat Sad

There might be people she could call and say exactly that, though.  Hopefully there's a TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) program near her to at least help keep the number from growing larger.  She might also be able to collect food donations from people at the local pet food shops.  She can try reaching out to the humane society in her area, or her state/city/county's department of wildlife, nuisance control, game warden, etc.

These cats are no part of her life  She put out food for them,  That's it.  She's not driven by a belief in life or anything like that.  She put out food and now she's overwhelmed.    And now there is a bunch of them,  There is literally no charity in her area that is going to clean up her cat problem.  I don't think that charity exists anywhere in the world.  They can't even get her for cat abuse.  She just feeds them.  So  they are not going to take the cats away.

No, nobody's going to take them away.  A stray/feral cat community is very difficult to move to another area, unfortunately.  There will continue to be more if she doesn't intervene and try to get them spayed/neutered, or try to bring in an organization that will help her with that.  Some communities ban feeding stray cats because of situations like these (though I don't agree with that either).  Unfortunately, just continuing to put out food won't solve the problem, and stopping putting out food could make it worse unless somebody else in her area takes on feeding them.  I'm not talking about anyone "getting her," but whether her own conscience would let her stop feeding them at this point.  I can tell you mine would not. 

Trusted Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

My friend looked into getting rid of the stray cats she fed.  She just wanted to feed them, but they just got to be more and more cats.  The shelters will only take cute  cats.  Because the shelters say -we don't kill our animals - they only take adoptable pets.  And it's not like she can call anyone and say "I'm sorry, I fed a couple of cats, and they multiplied and I can't deal with it anymore.

@stuyvesant

There are always more cats.  She can only do what she can do.  I'm sorry Cat Sad

There might be people she could call and say exactly that, though.  Hopefully there's a TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) program near her to at least help keep the number from growing larger.  She might also be able to collect food donations from people at the local pet food shops.  She can try reaching out to the humane society in her area, or her state/city/county's department of wildlife, nuisance control, game warden, etc.

These cats are no part of her life  She put out food for them,  That's it.  She's not driven by a belief in life or anything like that.  She put out food and now she's overwhelmed.    And now there is a bunch of them,  There is literally no charity in her area that is going to clean up her cat problem.  I don't think that charity exists anywhere in the world.  They can't even get her for cat abuse.  She just feeds them.  So  they are not going to take the cats away.

No, nobody's going to take them away.  A stray/feral cat community is very difficult to move to another area, unfortunately.  There will continue to be more if she doesn't intervene and try to get them spayed/neutered, or try to bring in an organization that will help her with that.  Some communities ban feeding stray cats because of situations like these (though I don't agree with that either).  Unfortunately, just continuing to put out food won't solve the problem, and stopping putting out food could make it worse unless somebody else in her area takes on feeding them.  I'm not talking about anyone "getting her," but whether her own conscience would let her stop feeding them at this point.  I can tell you mine would not. 

I'm curious about what you said about some communities banning feeding stray cats.  I can't see how that would work.

In my friends case, she is taking some of them and releasing them after a drive.  She knows this is awful, and is afraid of being in the local paper. Not for herself, she is afraid of her children gaining notoriety because she let this cat thing get out of hand.  And, she didnn't do enough cats, just enough to make her feel like a louse, but not enough to solve her problem.

Respected Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@stuyvesant

I'm curious about what you said about some communities banning feeding stray cats.  I can't see how that would work.

In my friends case, she is taking some of them and releasing them after a drive.  She knows this is awful, and is afraid of being in the local paper. Not for herself, she is afraid of her children gaining notoriety because she let this cat thing get out of hand.  And, she didnn't do enough cats, just enough to make her feel like a louse, but not enough to solve her problem.

Feeding bans are hard to enforce, as you can imagine.  And controversial.  But it's an attempt to avoid exactly this sort of scenario (which, as your friend has found, is a no-win).

Please beg your friend not to do that.  She's right; it's awful.  It's cruel and inhumane.  Better she stop feeding them but leave them in their familiar territory.  They might starve, but they won't spend weeks terrified and lonely before they do. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @AuntG!

Thanks so much, but your concern is misplaced.

When I wrote "just a little chaos" yesterday, I did so because I was slightly astonished, a tad wearied, and certainly bemused by the first three threads I opened.

Just like 'What are the odds of starting your leisurely stroll thru the Sunday forums by going to 3 different forums (two I rarely visit) and running into those 3 very interesting sounding titles that opened to 3 total dead-ends, in sequence???!

I dont spend much time in Fashion. I only wander thru about 2 or 3 times a month, out of boredom with other forums.

I opened only one thread and it had nothing to do with fashion. That figures.

That's not me that got angry, confrontational, posted and was poofed in Fashion..then posted here assuming I shared her angry reaction. I'd already left and gone to Books.

I'm sorry about your friend. She may be having more trouble focusing and organizing thought than she used to. She's needing more order in her physical surroundings and the haphazard visuals you describe are clearly upsetting her. Unfortunately,  posting about it on Facebook is not a constructive way to deal with it.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Noel7

Hey sweet lady!Heart

I saw the cat stalking video where they finally could identify him and it was heartbreaking!

I have to agree with you, most psychopaths (Jeffrey Dahmer, etc.) started with animals before they progressed to children/humans.

Soooo glad they got this sicko off the streets when they did!

@KingstonsMom  Heart

When he gets out, I hope he's monitored somehow, he's not going to change, but his victims might.

Trusted Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@stuyvesant

Feeding bans are hard to enforce, as you can imagine.  And controversial.  But it's an attempt to avoid exactly this sort of scenario (which, as your friend has found, is a no-win).

Please beg your friend not to do that.  She's right; it's awful.  It's cruel and inhumane.  Better she stop feeding them but leave them in their familiar territory.  They might starve, but they won't spend weeks terrified and lonely before they do. 

I can't imagine any scenario where starving isn't going to be terrifying.  The fact is, there's a lot of talk about no kill shelters, but there are no shelters at all that will help my  friend. 

Esteemed Contributor

LipstickDiva wrote

My idiot neighbor does that.  Took the time to go to the APL and adopt 2 cats and then just puts them out.  Both are super friendly.  Several weeks back I was outside putting out my trash and one came up to me and wanted some attention.  She jumped up on me and I thought I'd feel her claws.  She started to knead on my leg and I quickly realized she had no claws!!!  I walked the cat back to them and said something to them about her being out with no way to defend herself.  They looked at me like I had 2 heads.

I've not seen either of those cats in weeks and I'm afraid something happened.  Either that or they wised up.  The one is all black and they didn't even have enough sense to keep it inside around Halloween!    

@Lipstickdiva

Cats knead with their claws retracted. You wouldn't have felt them, especially if they're regularly clipped.

They looked at you like you had two heads because you said something that would frighten any pet owner.

You sound like you were (sweetly) threatening to do away with their cat, while observing it was both in your yard, and 'defensless'.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@x Hedge have you always let inconsequential things bother you?  I have a friend who writes on Facebook about people who don't use their turn signals, those that block aisles with their shopping cars......and the list goes on.  Sure it's annoying, but you can't change people and confrontation could escalate to somedthing far more serious. Please try to shrug it off - I find far more good on these boards than bad.

Personally, I'm against accepting the unacceptable. It's true that people won't change unless, until they find it easier, more beneficial for them. Those who shrug it off are guilty of complicity.

I'm against accepting the unacceptable too.  But I really think that in this life we should choose our battles.

Some things matter a whole lot, and others really not at all.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

LipstickDiva wrote

My idiot neighbor does that.  Took the time to go to the APL and adopt 2 cats and then just puts them out.  Both are super friendly.  Several weeks back I was outside putting out my trash and one came up to me and wanted some attention.  She jumped up on me and I thought I'd feel her claws.  She started to knead on my leg and I quickly realized she had no claws!!!  I walked the cat back to them and said something to them about her being out with no way to defend herself.  They looked at me like I had 2 heads.

I've not seen either of those cats in weeks and I'm afraid something happened.  Either that or they wised up.  The one is all black and they didn't even have enough sense to keep it inside around Halloween!    

@Lipstickdiva

Cats knead with their claws retracted. You wouldn't have felt them, especially if they're regularly clipped.

They looked at you like you had two heads because you said something that would frighten any pet owner.

You sound like you were (sweetly) threatening to do away with their cat, while observing it was both in your yard, and 'defensless'.

@x Hedge, they know me and my love of animals. They know I would never do anything to their cats.  I was upset because we have a lot of other stray cats, there has been a coyote sighting, we are 1 street away from a main highway, and these buffoons just let their cats roam all over.  

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

LipstickDiva wrote

@Lipstickdiva

My cats do not always retract their claws when they knead.

Once they really get going, the claws come out and ... ouchie!