Respected Contributor
I am not bothered, in the least, as to which board a poster chooses to post on any subject. Such a small inconvenience to buzz on by it if I am not interested.
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@x Hedge

Many posters like certain topics and tend to hang out there.

After time, some of them bond and even get used to each other.  Because of that, conversation slips into a broader, sometimes more personal, conversation.

I don't have any problem with that, it seems kind of natural.

Hi @Noel7.  Thank you for your reply.

I'm aware some posters spend all their time here on one, or a few forums, 'talking' with a relatively few number of posters.

I've encountered it and others have commented on this phenomenon. Since you brought it up, I'm interested in the impact that has on attracting new participants.

Effectively, they've taken the chosen forum and reduced it to more of a newsletter that circulates among a select group. This works fine when threads pertain to that forum. It's lead to many friendships and a good exchange of ideas and information. 

The conflict arises when off topic threads are frequently posted within a forum, and in time, off topic references to running conversations, repeat subjects, or personal life events are made that are understood within the group, but puzzling to 'outsiders' who may be trying to join in.

There is sometimes a 'clique-y' feel with those, and I suspect that may stifle participation by others, further reinforcing the 'closed group' feeling. 

Posters have discussed the need for 'new voices' in the forums, the number of readers who rarely or never post, and the reluctance of posters to start new threads.

I understand why some prefer that cozy small setup, where every subject is discussed within one forum.

As always, some would find their thinking stimulated by a single forum, where all thread topics mix. Others would be over-stimulated, and require more structure.

People fitting both descriptions posted here, and they BOTH come accross as angry.

I'm simply an observer, and it's up to the mods to enforce Standards as they see fit.

It's interesting that I listed the first 3 threads I opened, but the other two have been virtually ignored.

Honored Contributor

Re: just a little chaos

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge  I agree.   There's an Among Friends forum for things like you are describing which happens. The person would rather inconvenience others who came to that forum for the specific topic listed on the forum and waste their time either opening threads they aren't interested in or skipping over the threads with the OT warning in the title (so the OP knows she is "doing the wrong thing.").   Why doesn't that OP instead "inconvenience" herself, rather than others, the few seconds it takes to write @ and then her friends' names to draw their attention to the thread when it's placed in the correct forum, if she thinks her friends won't see it elsewhere on the board?  

If I go to a forum I expect to read threads in the subject of that forum.   If people want to write OT threads just so their friends will be able to see them, please don't.  Please put the threads in the appropriate forum and take a few seconds to draw your friends' attention to it by using the @ before your friends' names.   Why inconvenience me when you are the one not following the board setup?  ("You" being used figuratively, not "you" Hedge).

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I want to start off with an apology.

Over time I've noticed I tend to run low on patience and write my least 'gracious' comments on Fridays.

My apologies to all those who've found some of my posts, especially Friday posts, a little prickly. 

Although its Sunday, if you're an 'anything goes' person when here, you probably won't like this post either.

The first thread I opened today was a 'weather report' (rain, wind, etc) that had been posted (not by mistake) in the Fashion forum. Strangely, chaos reigned, and other posters in Fashion embraced this totally non-fashion post. 

I left Fashion and skipped down to Books. A poster there was promoting sales of their cousin's new book, now available for purchase on Amazon.

Moving on, I found myself reading an invitation to speculate/discuss someone's reproductive status, because, hey!, when it comes to certain people employed by Q, no subject is off limits as long as we're all anonymous except the person being discussed.

Ok, I admit it. I feel better now.

By the by, my outside cat had her kittens 10 days ago.

I was thinking of sharing all about them. What do you think ... should I post that in Sports, or Recipies?

I think sometimes people get a little nuts about their postings.

Esteemed Contributor

People share personal details here, often.  I am mindful that I may not have been present for the entire history, but I generally try to respectfully respond to things that have parallels in my life, with the intent to concur, relate, hopefully at times add meaning, a new perspective, share a laugh or a sadness.

At any rate, I would hope to not add to others' trials.  

I hope, my forum friends, that this day finds you well.💕

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't understand why anyone has an outdoor cat unless it's restricted to a fenced yard and their person is with them.

A recent PBS show about cats said they are much more domesticated now, we're not talking about wild beings.

Saying we don't know what happened to an outdoor cat usually means it was something bad, like being hit by a car, being used for dog fights, getting wounded in a fight, on and on. 

I don't know Hedge's situation, but we feed and take care of several outside kitties. Even if we could get them inside (one maybe, one never, others I'm not sure), it could endanger our inside kitties who are all shelter rescues. So that's one reason people have outdoor cats. 

This is true...but there are low cost spay/ neuter programs. The amount of unwanted kittens every summer is horrible!! Many counties offer a TNR program.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't understand why anyone has an outdoor cat unless it's restricted to a fenced yard and their person is with them.

A recent PBS show about cats said they are much more domesticated now, we're not talking about wild beings.

Saying we don't know what happened to an outdoor cat usually means it was something bad, like being hit by a car, being used for dog fights, getting wounded in a fight, on and on. 

There are feral cats and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it.         

Respected Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't know Hedge's situation, but we feed and take care of several outside kitties. Even if we could get them inside (one maybe, one never, others I'm not sure), it could endanger our inside kitties who are all shelter rescues. So that's one reason people have outdoor cats. 

This is true...but there are low cost spay/ neuter programs. The amount of unwanted kittens every summer is horrible!! Many counties offer a TNR program.

Oh, we TNR as well.  We have humane traps we use to take them to our local vet to spay/neuter.  We have used them when a kitty was obviously injured as well, and wouldn't let us put him/her in a carrier for a vet trip. 

Trusted Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I have a friend who fed some stray cats.  Now there are many of them. She can't get rid of them, because she is a kind person.  So they just go on breeding, and she feeds them.  And they multiply.  But our society isn't equipped to deal with this.  If she was a hoarder she could get help.  But she can't get help for feeding the cats.

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@software wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Still doesn't make it right

Just saying

So...we should let them starve or suffer? I guess that's one way to solve the problem o.O

My sister has several outdoor cats and we have 2 here at work.  They just showed up and she started to feed them.  She live trapped every one of them, had them fixed and released them.  She also has 5 indoor cats she was able to bring in from outside.

Our 2 cats at work were trapped, fixed and released.  We would love for someone to take them but 1 is feral.  We want them to stay together because they are bonded.  We would love for someone with property to take them so they could be barn cats.