Respected Contributor

Good Job @WenGirl42....I have a friend who is also a police officer, she does this on her own. She will trap a whole feral colony, get them shots and fixed and released. Although, it seems to be a never ending process!!

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't understand why anyone has an outdoor cat unless it's restricted to a fenced yard and their person is with them.

A recent PBS show about cats said they are much more domesticated now, we're not talking about wild beings.

Saying we don't know what happened to an outdoor cat usually means it was something bad, like being hit by a car, being used for dog fights, getting wounded in a fight, on and on. 

I don't know Hedge's situation, but we feed and take care of several outside kitties. Even if we could get them inside (one maybe, one never, others I'm not sure), it could endanger our inside kitties who are all shelter rescues. So that's one reason people have outdoor cats. 

@WenGirl42

THAT I understand, totally.  It's putting out pets, especially for the night, that I don't understand.

My idiot neighbor does that.  Took the time to go to the APL and adopt 2 cats and then just puts them out.  Both are super friendly.  Several weeks back I was outside putting out my trash and one came up to me and wanted some attention.  She jumped up on me and I thought I'd feel her claws.  She started to knead on my leg and I quickly realized she had no claws!!!  I walked the cat back to them and said something to them about her being out with no way to defend herself.  They looked at me like I had 2 heads.

I've not seen either of those cats in weeks and I'm afraid something happened.  Either that or they wised up.  The one is all black and they didn't even have enough sense to keep it inside around Halloween!    

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@software wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't understand why anyone has an outdoor cat unless it's restricted to a fenced yard and their person is with them.

A recent PBS show about cats said they are much more domesticated now, we're not talking about wild beings.

Saying we don't know what happened to an outdoor cat usually means it was something bad, like being hit by a car, being used for dog fights, getting wounded in a fight, on and on. 

I don't know Hedge's situation, but we feed and take care of several outside kitties. Even if we could get them inside (one maybe, one never, others I'm not sure), it could endanger our inside kitties who are all shelter rescues. So that's one reason people have outdoor cats. 

Still doesn't make it right

Just saying

So...we should let them starve or suffer? I guess that's one way to solve the problem o.O

My sister has several outdoor cats and we have 2 here at work.  They just showed up and she started to feed them.  She live trapped every one of them, had them fixed and released them.  She also has 5 indoor cats she was able to bring in from outside.

Our 2 cats at work were trapped, fixed and released.  We would love for someone to take them but 1 is feral.  We want them to stay together because they are bonded.  We would love for someone with property to take them so they could be barn cats.      

Barn cats?  I don't think they have a very long life cycle.  It's incredible and wonderful that you did this responsible stuff of spaying abandoned cats who then went on being abandoned  Kudos.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@software wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Still doesn't make it right

Just saying

So...we should let them starve or suffer? I guess that's one way to solve the problem o.O

My sister has several outdoor cats and we have 2 here at work.  They just showed up and she started to feed them.  She live trapped every one of them, had them fixed and released them.  She also has 5 indoor cats she was able to bring in from outside.

Our 2 cats at work were trapped, fixed and released.  We would love for someone to take them but 1 is feral.  We want them to stay together because they are bonded.  We would love for someone with property to take them so they could be barn cats.      

Yeah...we've brought in and/or rehomed ones we could, but it's not always possible.  For the ones that have to stay outside, we make sure they can't keep breeding, are protected from the elements when they need/want to be, and have a consistent source of safe food.  The only other thing we could do for them that we don't is take them to a shelter, but no-kill shelters are few and far between and never accepting new animals it seems.  If someone wants to judge me for refusing to take a feral cat that will never be adopted to a shelter that will end up killing it, they can.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@x Hedge

Many posters like certain topics and tend to hang out there.

After time, some of them bond and even get used to each other.  Because of that, conversation slips into a broader, sometimes more personal, conversation.

I don't have any problem with that, it seems kind of natural.

Hi @Noel7.  Thank you for your reply.

I'm aware some posters spend all their time here on one, or a few forums, 'talking' with a relatively few number of posters.

I've encountered it and others have commented on this phenomenon. Since you brought it up, I'm interested in the impact that has on attracting new participants.

Effectively, they've taken the chosen forum and reduced it to more of a newsletter that circulates among a select group. This works fine when threads pertain to that forum. It's lead to many friendships and a good exchange of ideas and information. 

The conflict arises when off topic threads are frequently posted within a forum, and in time, off topic references to running conversations, repeat subjects, or personal life events are made that are understood within the group, but puzzling to 'outsiders' who may be trying to join in.

There is sometimes a 'clique-y' feel with those, and I suspect that may stifle participation by others, further reinforcing the 'closed group' feeling. 

Posters have discussed the need for 'new voices' in the forums, the number of readers who rarely or never post, and the reluctance of posters to start new threads.

I understand why some prefer that cozy small setup, where every subject is discussed within one forum.

As always, some would find their thinking stimulated by a single forum, where all thread topics mix. Others would be over-stimulated, and require more structure.

People fitting both descriptions posted here, and they BOTH come accross as angry.

I'm simply an observer, and it's up to the mods to enforce Standards as they see fit.

It's interesting that I listed the first 3 threads I opened, but the other two have been virtually ignored.

Excellent food for thought, @x Hedge

I'm a MOR person about most things, so off-topic posts within a thread don't bother me - it's a natural flow of conversation AFAIC. But IMO there should be a very low limit to starting a completely off-topic thread within a forum - My Hysterectomy in the Jewelry forum, Xmas Trees in LOGO, etc. That's just...dumb. And people who do it have to know it is. I don't buy 'I'm old and sick, humor me and let me do what I want' or 'I can only find/read posts in this ONE forum I know how to get back to.' That isn't, and shouldn't be, everyone else's problem, honestly.

I agree that some forums are clique-y, frankly, though some of course welcome everyone. And yes, it is off-putiing for a newbie.

But - that's all forums, not just QVC's forums. Every forum I've ever been on, dating back to 1994, has had this aspect. It's part of being online, which is not, in general, for the faint of heart - whether or not people believe it "should" be relentlessly warm, kind and all-inclusive to participate in a group or forum - it generally isn't - anywhere.

It takes time to find your "spot", if you want one. There are many in Among Friends and Pets among others. Others like me look routinely at several forums to participate in. It's nice to have a safe, comfy spot, but not everyone "must" have one.

Over the years, in quite a few forums, I've read as people try to change and mold a forum to their wants and needs (not saying you're doing this). It never, ever works. Discussion groups are like a coral reef - a living entity that evolves over time. Not all sea life makes a connection to the reef and some drifts away in search of a "perfect fit" elsewhere.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Where someone chooses to post something doesn't bother me.  If a mod sees it and moves it, so be it.  I really don't care one way or the other. 

If the thread is clear by the title, but OT, it's very simple to just click past it.  If it's not clear by the title and you click on it and realize it's OT and of no interest, why not just click out.  How much time does that take?  A couple of seconds. 

Trusted Contributor

My friend looked into getting rid of the stray cats she fed.  She just wanted to feed them, but they just got to be more and more cats.  The shelters will only take cute  cats.  Because the shelters say -we don't kill our animals - they only take adoptable pets.  And it's not like she can call anyone and say "I'm sorry, I fed a couple of cats, and they multiplied and I can't deal with it anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@WenGirl42

THAT I understand, totally.  It's putting out pets, especially for the night, that I don't understand.

My idiot neighbor does that.  Took the time to go to the APL and adopt 2 cats and then just puts them out.  Both are super friendly.  Several weeks back I was outside putting out my trash and one came up to me and wanted some attention.  She jumped up on me and I thought I'd feel her claws.  She started to knead on my leg and I quickly realized she had no claws!!!  I walked the cat back to them and said something to them about her being out with no way to defend herself.  They looked at me like I had 2 heads.

I've not seen either of those cats in weeks and I'm afraid something happened.  Either that or they wised up.  The one is all black and they didn't even have enough sense to keep it inside around Halloween!    

That's awful @Lipstickdiva

This is a sore subject with me because the Bay Area went through hades with a serial cat killer on the lose.  He hunted house cats at night.  They finally caught him.  They had him for killing 20 cats and he has been sentenced to jail for 16 years.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@WenGirl42

That's awful @Lipstickdiva

This is a sore subject with me because the Bay Area went through hades with a serial cat killer on the lose.  He hunted house cats at night.  They finally caught him.  They had him for killing 20 cats and he has been sentenced to jail for 16 years.

I'm shuddering reading this.  Can you provide some sources?  16 years for killing 20 cats.  In my area, behaving badly towards cats just earns you contempt.

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant

San Jose (CA Bay Area) serial cat killer gets 16-year sentence

WARNING: its gruesome, don't read details if you are sensitive.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/San-Jose-serial-cat-killer-gets-16-year-sentence-11290539.php