New Contributor

Re: is etsy a scam or have I just not kept up?

IT'S YOU!! And it was me until at least a year ago or more!! Apparently they had such demand due to the other E being more and more the "EPolice." My partner sells thete in collectibles and is teally sick of the expense, etc. I HAPPENED into Etsu and went WHOA! that's not allowed!! (all handmade last I'd heard) So began to look around and learned its a whole new world at zEysy and has been for a while. I think they are nasically noy going to allow themselves to bevoverrun with chinese junk . I KNOW ITS NOT ALL JUNK, but when the wave of sellers came into EBay they listed the same items over and over...100's of times in the dame category, exactly the same ad. Needless to say shoppers fell of due to the enormous, intimidating number of products one received in a search. Sales values went down and have stayed down in most cases. But the sellers from across the Sea were held back so they split UP with bogus cities of location they shipped from. And a "one man band" to handle the volume there.
So, the beating of Etsys doors by good Ol' American Mom and Pops stores begging to be allowed in, WE'RE ALLOWED IN. BUT , were
Welcomed with caution. I've never seen anything there. that was not a high quality product. Or so it seemed. The siteBONANZA has become the EVRRYMANS online selling site and I hear it's doing really well!
New Contributor

Sorry about that posting, it was covered over left to write about half way through it. Couldn't just stop so I blindly typed it thinking I would correct it at the end but that option DID NOT pop up! NOW I CAN SEE IT ALL !!
Super Contributor

The only things you can sell on Etsy are handmade items or vintage items. In order for it to be considered vintage, it must be at least 20 years old.

Etsy is not a scam.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

The only things you can sell on Etsy are handmade items or vintage items. In order for it to be considered vintage, it must be at least 20 years old.

Etsy is not a scam.

I've purchased just a few things but have also done many searches on the site, @moon_gazer. There are tons of items neither handmade or vintage. Maybe it used to be just those, but it isn't anymore.

I've liked what I've purchased. But as others note, it's similar to eBay in that it's the individual seller that matters.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

That's not true. The specific info is available on their website and/or by doing a quick Google search.

Honored Contributor

I bought a pair of custom made New York Rangers earrings from Etsy. They were way bigger than I thought they would be. I emailed their contact and they said they would make and send me a smaller pair, but it would take about 5 weeks to complete. I got them in less than a month, free of charge with no return of the bigger pair. Wearing them right now in my Right Ear, and they look great!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Nice to meet you too @Its Me LuLuBelle2!  The only problem with collecting glassware is — it seems to reproduce in my cabinets 😳.  I have nightmares of my kitchen cabinets falling off the walls in the middle of the night.  I try to only take in pieces I will use, but you know how that goes.  

Valued Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

Nice to meet you too @Its Me LuLuBelle2!  The only problem with collecting glassware is — it seems to reproduce in my cabinets 😳.  I have nightmares of my kitchen cabinets falling off the walls in the middle of the y night.  I try to only take in pieces I will use, but you know how that goes.  

@Beauty Maven, I hate to admit it, but depression glass is not my only love and collectible - my #1, but not only.  I collect deco cocktail shakers, deco dresser sets and powder jars (only elephants), vintage chicken pitchers and salt and pepper shakers. I own more second hand clothes with the "look for the union label" than any woman should own!   I've now sprouted out to 1960's paper dresses.  The common thread with all of my collectibles is all of those things USE to be manufactured right here in the USA.  It hurts my heart how much is thrown away and discarded.  None of what I collect has any real monetary value, but I love it for what it is and the joy it brings my heart.  Thankfully, I have the space to collect and my granddaughter loves all of my "stuff" and someday she'll own it all (my crazy, collectible gene skipped my daughter). I also appreciate my husband's patience with my complete insanity!!!  

Valued Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2-- Are you by chance in Florida?  We should get together!  I'm really trying to let go of a lot.  My parents were antique collectors for years and they are starting to hand off much of their collection to me, so I have a lot of chairs, tables, dressers, etc.  My glass collection has doubled because my mom gave me all her candlewick.  I'm bursting at the seams, and I'm not sure what to do about it.  I need a bigger condo.You are so fortunate that your granddaughter has the "collectible gene"!  I have no one that shares or understands collector madness and I'm too cheap to get a storage unit.  

Respected Contributor

A scam???

I buy tons of gifts from Etsy; monogrammed items, expensive children's clothing (custom), fabric, art, etc.,

You are missing out!