Respected Contributor

Re: is etsy a scam or have I just not kept up?

Etsy changed its business model in 2013 to allow manufacturers to sell on the site. I miss the old Etsy when everything was handmade by individual crafters and artists.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@esmerelda

Was the item description stating that the item you purchased was “hand-crafted?”

I would check this. As you probably know already, the item you buy must match the item description of you can return it or dispute the sale with your credit card company.

Items I have purchased have been both handcrafted and manufactured.

Yes to all of this, @LTT1! Etsy sells a variety of items and not all of them are handmade. If the item description says it was handcrafted and was not, you can file a claim. If it did not and you assumed it was without checking, that's unfortunately on you.

Valued Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

I collect vintage, depression-era glass and I've found many items listed on Etsy.  I've successfully purchased and received quite a bit of merchandise from Etsy stores.  They don't just sell hand-made items.  You can search for used items just like you can on eBay.  I like Etsy.  I did purchase a hand-made wood stable for my Willow Tree nativity, and it's beautiful!

@Beauty Maven, so nice to meet a fellow depression glass collector!  I too collect it with my primary focus on pitchers - especially the lemonade/ice tea ones with lids (which are getting harder and harder to find). I've done very well at Etsy over the years finding them and have written to sellers to negotiate price.  I own tons of depression glass and also love grille plates - both pink and green, round and square.  A very fun way to set a table!

I also have bought plenty of handmade jewelry - all well done, all at great prices.  My newest thing is hair sticks.  I wear my hair almost daily in a bun and have bought some beautiful vintage sticks, wood sticks, and recently 6 acrylic sticks.  Again, all beautiful.

I've shopped with Etsy for years and not once have I been disappointed.  Nope, definitely not a scam.

Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of sellers buying cheap china stuff and reselling if for a profit. I thought I heard they were trying to crack down on in.

Valued Contributor

@deeva wrote:

Etsy changed its business model in 2013 to allow manufacturers to sell on the site. I miss the old Etsy when everything was handmade by individual crafters and artists.

This. There was a brouhaha over it. Etsy now allows sellers to sell items that were manufactured by third parties, overseas, etc. There was a campaign among angered artists and craftspeople to leave Etsy over the change in policy, and some did. But the new policy remains in effect. 

Honored Contributor

There are close to 2 million shops on Etsy. Each is run by different individuals for the most part. Just like in the general population there will be honest and not so honest people who don’t follow the rules. It’s hard for Etsy to police everyone and resellers have been a big problem. This is not new but has been an ongoing problem from the beginning.

The basic rules haven’t changed. You can sell handcrafted, vintage or supplies(for creating). Which means a seller can buy a supply, embellish it by hand and now it is acceptable to sell on Etsy.

I’ve had an Etsy shop for over 10 years an sell 100% handcrafted items in my shop.

If you’re not happy see about returning the item and getting a refund. You can also get in touch with your payment processor ( how did you pay?) and let them know that the item is not “as described”.
Esteemed Contributor

I have purchsed quite a few things from Etsy and have always been pleased

Honored Contributor

I have not ordered in a while but the things I did order appeared to be hand crafted, were very nice and the service was excellent.  I had not heard that they were selling items that were made in China or mass marketed or whatever.  If so, that is a shame.  I guess, a person has to be so careful on every site you go to these days.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Last year I bought some really beautiful hand painted Christmas pillows from Etsy, and this year I got a fall leaves pillow that looks amazing on my dark brown sofa and a bunch of Christmas ribbons. I do a lot with ribbons at Christmas time so I appreciate them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@esmerelda

Was the item description stating that the item you purchased was “hand-crafted?”

I would check this. As you probably know already, the item you buy must match the item description of you can return it or dispute the sale with your credit card company.

Items I have purchased have been both handcrafted and manufactured.

Yes to all of this, @LTT1! Etsy sells a variety of items and not all of them are handmade. If the item description says it was handcrafted and was not, you can file a claim. If it did not and you assumed it was without checking, that's unfortunately on you.

I agree.

I don't see any kind of scam here unless the description of the item was incorrect.  And even if so, that doesn't mean all of Etsy is a scam.  In my experience, it's actually very reputable.  I know many people who both buy and sell there.

If there is a legitimate issue, that's a problem with the particular seller, certainly not Etsy overall.