Esteemed Contributor

is etsy a scam or have I just not kept up?

I've always thought etsy was for the sale of handcrafted items only.  Has that changed?  And when?  What are the rules now?

I bought an item there recently; and when it arrived, I was very impressed.  Very professionally made and packaged.  I looked for the care instructions and found the dreaded "Made in China" tag.  Really??

I feel misled!

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: is etsy a scam or have I just not kept up?

Hand made/hand crafted with parts from China.

Best to ask sources in advance of purchasing.

Honored Contributor

I think some Etsy stores are just re-selling things they found elsewhere, like antiques.  I suppose some of the stuff could be made in China. Nevertheless, much of Etsy is quality hand-crafted items; that's what the site was designed for.

Honored Contributor

As far as i can remember Etsy specialized in handcrafted items and unusual manufacured items.  I've sold on eBay since 03 and wanted to also sell on Etsy later on. That stopped me because my items are antique (neither handcrafted, vintage nor an unusual manufactured item)....

A desccription from Google:

Etsy
Company
Image result for etsy
Etsy is an e-commerce website focused on handmade or vintage items and supplies, as well as unique factory-manufactured items. These items cover a wide range, including art, photography, clothing, jewelry, food, bath and beauty products, quilts, knick-knacks, and toys. Wikipedia
*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I love Etsy and have purchased many handmade items there and been very pleased. Perhaps you'd be happier shopping at a b&m store so you can inspect items more carefully before buying.

Honored Contributor

scam is when you order something and get nothing

if not happy see if you can return it 

Honored Contributor

eta  

I make a point to read fine print of all these sites before ordering anything

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda

Was the item description stating that the item you purchased was “hand-crafted?”

I would check this. As you probably know already, the item you buy must match the item description of you can return it or dispute the sale with your credit card company.

Items I have purchased have been both handcrafted and manufactured.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

Before buying you can always send the seller a quick email and ask questions. I have found that they always respond to me the same day or shortly after. They always seem happy and willing to answer any question, I have ever asked. 

Valued Contributor

I collect vintage, depression-era glass and I've found many items listed on Etsy.  I've successfully purchased and received quite a bit of merchandise from Etsy stores.  They don't just sell hand-made items.  You can search for used items just like you can on eBay.  I like Etsy.  I did purchase a hand-made wood stable for my Willow Tree nativity, and it's beautiful!