Honored Contributor

Re: interesting Walmart online experience with being charged sales tax.

@Silver Lining wrote:

We have to pay 10% tax on everything.  Any kind of food or drink is also taxed. Raw, cooked, canned, bottled.... I bought a few groceries yesterday, mostly fresh fruit and raw vegetables. No meat, fish, or fowl,milk, cheese, etc. I bought some kibble and wet food for my dog and two cats. The total was $132.42 plus 10% tax of $13.42, total of $144.56

@Silver Lining  What state are you in?

Honored Contributor

I have never ordered groceries from Walmart, but there are many states that don’t tax groceries, and I doubt many, if any, have ever even noticed,
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Be glad you don't live in Santa Monica, CA.  They charge sales tax of 10.25% (last I saw), and also a "utility" tax of 10% on all utilities.....

"The City levies a 10% tax on gas, electricity, water/wastewater, video (CATV and IP-TV) and telecommunications services.  The tax on prepaid wireless services is 9%."

I don't live in Santa Monica, but used to work there and after speaking with some other employees who worked and lived there, I was shocked on how expensive all the taxes were for locals.

I once notified a national women's clothing store that they were overcharging sales tax at two local mall stores.  I called their corporate office and notified a district manager or similar, and it was changed shortly after to the correct amount.  I can't believe that they don't have people to check that because overcharging could result in some sort of class action lawsuit for everyone who shopped at those stores during that time.

Thank you for posting, it's a good reminder to check your receipts!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Walmart never taxes me on groceries, which are exempt in my state.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, some of those %'s on sales taxes are high.  I am lucky because my state does not have a sales tax on anything - yay Delaware.

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

Wow, some of those %'s on sales taxes are high.  I am lucky because my state does not have a sales tax on anything - yay Delaware.

@chlema      But I bet you have an income tax....   They get you one way or another..

we do not have an income tax THANK GOD  in Washington State... thus the high sales tax on practially everything except food and a couple of other things like medical and window washing( funny...)

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Were you charged sales tax on your entire order? In NY State, food isn't taxable, but things like cleaning products, paper products, prepared food, pop, beer and the like are subject to sales tax. If it's the same in Washington State, you may have been charged sales tax only on non-food items.

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Were you charged sales tax on your entire order? In NY State, food isn't taxable, but things like cleaning products, paper products, prepared food, pop, beer and the like are subject to sales tax. If it's the same in Washington State, you may have been charged sales tax only on non-food items.

@Buffalogal47  My order was only food...

NO non food items that yes would be taxed.