Honored Contributor

interesting Millennial / Gen Z / Gen Alpha info.

[ Edited ]

Sorry, boomers and Gen X. Millennials, Gen Z and younger generations are the new majority in the US.

Associated Press   August 4, 2020

ORLANDO, Fla. — 

Sorry, Boomers. Millennials and their younger siblings and children now make up a majority of the U.S. population.

A new analysis by the Brookings Institution shows that 50.7% of U.S. residents were under age 40, as of July 2019.

The Brookings’ analysis of population estimates released this summer by the U.S. Census Bureau shows that the combined Millennial, Generation Z and younger generations numbered 166 million people. The combined Generation X, Baby Boomer, and older cohorts represented 162 million U.S. residents.

“To many Americans — especially Baby Boomers themselves — this news may come as a shock. For them, the term “Millennial” has been associated with a youthful, often negative, vibe in terms of habits, ideology, and politics,” William Frey, a senior fellow at Brookings’ Metropolitan Policy Program, wrote in the analysis. “Now, the oldest Millennial is 39, and with their numbers exceeding those of Baby Boomers, the Millennial generation is poised to take over influential roles in business and government.”

Those under age 40 are more diverse than the older cohorts, with almost half identifying as being part of a racial or ethnic minority.

Past surveys show that the younger generations split from the older generations on issues such as immigration reform, criminal justice reform and environmental protection, and the pandemic and recent racial justice protests are likely to galvanize the younger groups to promote an array of progressive causes, Frey wrote.

Millennials typically are defined as being born between 1981 and 1996. Baby Boomers, long considered a primary driver of demographic and social change in the U.S. because of their large numbers, were born between the end of World War II and the arrival of the Beatles in the U.S. in 1964.

Squeezed between the Boomers and Millennials, Generation Xers were born in the late 1960s and 1970s. Members of Generation Z were born after 1996.

------

from Wikipedia:

Baby Boomers

people born from 1946 to 1964

Generation X:   

people born from 1965 to 1980 

Millennials (a.k.a. "Generation Y"): 

people born from 1981 to 1996 

Generation Z (a.k.a "Gen Z"): 

people born from the mid-to-late 1990s to the early 2010s

Generation Alpha (a.k.a "Gen Alpha"):

people born from the early 2010s to the mid-2020s

Named after the first letter in the Greek alphabet, Generation Alpha is the first to be born entirely in the 21st century. Most members of Generation Alpha are the children of Millenials.

---

Super Contributor

Re: interesting Millennial / Gen Z / Gen Alpha info.

I'm before all of them, what does that make me?  Just plain old I guessSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

OK BOOMER! 😊 

Esteemed Contributor

I  agree with this article 100%.

Boomers hate that they are not the majority anymore.

Now, as a Gen X-er myself, I accept that the time has come to pass the baton to a younger generation.

Maybe they can do better than the previous generations, mine included, did.

I wish them well.💖

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819  There have to be less Boomers than anyone else because of the ages. Many people born in 1946 are not here today. Of course I am but I have many friends and relatives who are not.

Honored Contributor

@IdahoGram wrote:

I'm before all of them, what does that make me?  Just plain old I guessSmiley Happy

@IdahoGram -

You are from "The Greatest Generation!"Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

"On the Bay".....I agree it really was.  

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 I'm a boomer at 72 and honestly, I don't hate it that we aren't the majority anymore!

Esteemed Contributor

@IdahoGram wrote:

The Silent Generation, also known as the "Lucky Few", is the cohort who came of age in the post–World War II era. They were born from 1928 to 1945. In the U.S., this group includes most of those who may have fought the Korean War and many of those who may have fought during the Vietnam War. @IdahoGram 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Anonymous032819  There have to be less Boomers than anyone else because of the ages. Many people born in 1946 are not here today. Of course I am but I have many friends and relatives who are not.

@proudlyfromNJ 

True, Boomers are dying out, there's no denying that.

But, I remember seeing posts where Boomers thought that they still ran the show.

I'm sorry, but they don't, not anymore.

My generation doesn't run the show.

I have always understood and accepted the fact that it's the younger generation that influences change.

Just like the old(er) lion gets bested by the younger lion to run the pride, so, in a sense, the same for humans.

I am not resentful of the younger generation. I don't look at them with disdain, because they do things differently.

Just because they do things differently, doesn't make it wrong, just different.

I am willing to learn their way of doing  things, of seeing things.

Just because I am older than Millennials and Gen Z, doesn't mean that I can't learn from them.

As I said, I wish the younger generation all of the luck in the world, as they inherit the world that my generation and upward, have left them.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.