Respected Contributor

the state sets the rates and my town's rates are based on the Interstate that passes through part of the town, with a cloverleaf.  there are accidents from incoming traffic which affect the rate. this is a very small town though!

i had a broker who put me in Progressive. after a few years of my rates increasing i checked out another company. i went with them but my rates keep increasing.  i removed my collision. my car is old (13). i can have my windshield replaced and then remove my comprehensive.

believe it, if you don't hold a note on it, they will not repair an old car, they will total it. take a look at the book value.  wholesale is what they use. they won't repair an old car.

Honored Contributor

Insurance is necessary, but I hate dealing with it.  My apologies to anyone in the business, but I hate insurance agents. They are always bothering us about new coverage, more coverage, etc.  I hate paying the high price for the coverage I have now so why would I want more. I think car insurance is the worst. 

Then you make a claim (even when it isn't your fault) and your rates go through the roof. I had an incident where a sharp metal object fell off a flatbed semi in front me. The object almost killed me and caused major damage to my car. 

I got stuck with huge rate increases because the truck drove off. When the insurance agent told me it would have helped if I got the name and license number of the truck I laughed. I was trying to control my vehicle which was going off the road at the time. Sorry, I didn't get that for you. Drives me crazy. 

Btw I have State Farm right now and I hate it. 

Trusted Contributor

when i got hit about 4 yrs ago they repaired it, i needed a whole new passanger side door.. i plan on keeping my car for a few more yrs. its in good condition i've always taken care of it.. knock on wood all i've had to do to it is get new brakes and new tires... and it only has like maybe 80,000 miles on it if that

Honored Contributor

We live in MI and it is a no fault state. That means no matter whose"fault" it is your insurance company pays you. DH says liability, medical and uninsuranced drivers also up the prices.What the op should do is shop around and she may get a lower rate.

Also I was told your zip codes matter and the state you live in.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

In what state do you live?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

If you are a AAAmember they offer insurance (both home/car). When I moved to FL the insurance quotes were extremely high (believe it or not from my private insurer in NJ).

Triple A did a complete comparison for us, unfortunately, since I was new to FL they couldn't write our policy. I ended up with GEICO which was reasonable.

Recently I had a comparison done with them I got a new policy quote of $1100/year vs. $1474/year with Geico. And that's 2 excellent drivers, no points, no accidents BUT my spouse is 65 and he makes the rate higher!

you may want to check it out.

Trusted Contributor

i live in pa... i do have aaa.. i'm checking it out allstate has done nothing for me but keep increasing my rates...

Trusted Contributor

well they lowered it, but it went up again by 10%... i called & they explained all ins. is going up.. i'm mad, but whar are you gonna do....

Esteemed Contributor

Try Nationwide, their rates are fantastic.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I have Hanover and have been very happy with them.  I use an insurance agent who has multiple companies they can look at to get me the best rate.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau