Super Contributor

icoffee Opus vs Cuisinart SS 700

Because of the multiple reviews online for the Opus machine by Remington I decided to get one and test it against what I consider the best of the CURRENT Keurig type machines (VUE no longer made) and I was mainly interested in the Opus tripartite claim, i.e., hotter than hot, smoother than smooth, faster than fast.

I ran a series of 5 brews in each machine and I can easily say that 1 of the three parts of their claim is true, but to me it is the important part.

The Cuisinart brewed much faster and was hotter.. Avg time brewing 12 oz cup with Opus was 1 min 6 seconds and Cuisinart about 43 seconds. Temperature in the cup for the Opus averaged 177.2 F whereas the Cuisinart averaged 181.3 F.

I brewed a 8 oz size just to compare times and the Opus was about 54 seconds and the Cuisinart was 33 seconds.

Now for the taste, I Opus was significantly better in all ways,,richer, better body/mouth feel and smoother than the Cuisinart, such that I literally dumped my Cuisinart brew down the drain.

Thus the Opus although NOT faster nor hotter than the Cuisinart, easily won out in the taste department, such that I am returning the Cuisinart to BB&B and keeping the Opus as the taste is more important to me than the time to brew and the temperature in the cup and actually 177F is hotter than I can drink without cooling anyway.

As a personal side note I literally hated the coffee samples included with the Opus but there are only 5 of them to trash.. I did not try the tea, but it should be OK.

Respected Contributor

Re: icoffee Opus vs Cuisinart SS 700

I do love my Nespresso- you might want to look into it...the coffees are GREAT!

Though it sounds like you found a winner!

Regular Contributor

Great interesting review, thanks

Super Contributor

On 4/1/2015 Mothertrucker said:

I do love my Nespresso- you might want to look into it...the coffees are GREAT!

Though it sounds like you found a winner!

Yes and that was for the last 4 years considering the Cuisinart the winner..

Respected Contributor

Thanks! I do love black coffee, so finding a machine that really brews it well and fast is essential. I watched many videos on youtube where people did side by side comparisons. I now debate between getting the regular iCoffee because the beans soak more in the water before the coffee is put into the pot, more like a french press, or stick with the Keurig type machine for my few cups at home in the morning and on the weekends. I won't buy until mine dies!

Super Contributor

On 4/1/2015 tigriss said:

Thanks! I do love black coffee, so finding a machine that really brews it well and fast is essential. I watched many videos on youtube where people did side by side comparisons. I now debate between getting the regular iCoffee because the beans soak more in the water before the coffee is put into the pot, more like a french press, or stick with the Keurig type machine for my few cups at home in the morning and on the weekends. I won't buy until mine dies!

tigriss, I agree with you and yesterday I asked the inventor just that question as I love a rich brew. Currently for superior brewing I use the Aeropress but I liked the theory of the icoffee steam brewer and yet I was told by their customer service folk that they liked the Opus brew better, but honestly I do not see how it could compare favorably with the steam and agitation longer brewing cycle of the Steam brewer.

Of course customer service told me that the 75 oz. container would allow 71 oz of coffee before "add H2O" light would come on but in my testing light came on with 16 ounces still in the container(12 more than I was told).

Respected Contributor

I really appreciate your thorough review! I've got my eye on the options to replace my Keurig when it becomes necessary, and now I'm adding the iCoffee to my list to investigate. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

On 4/1/2015 4uthebest said:
On 4/1/2015 tigriss said:

tigriss, I agree with you and yesterday I asked the inventor just that question as I love a rich brew. Currently for superior brewing I use the Aeropress but I liked the theory of the icoffee steam brewer and yet I was told by their customer service folk that they liked the Opus brew better, but honestly I do not see how it could compare favorably with the steam and agitation longer brewing cycle of the Steam brewer.

Of course customer service told me that the 75 oz. container would allow 71 oz of coffee before "add H2O" light would come on but in my testing light came on with 16 ounces still in the container(12 more than I was told).

I use the AreoPress, mainly on the weekends when I'm not in a hurry. I love it too and it is a much stronger brew but so tasty. I'm usually in a hurry in the mornings and use my Keurig, but my weekends are more relaxed where I can enjoy my coffee.

Super Contributor

On 4/1/2015 WenGirl42 said:

I really appreciate your thorough review! I've got my eye on the options to replace my Keurig when it becomes necessary, and now I'm adding the iCoffee to my list to investigate. Thanks!

WenGirl42, sure my pleasure .I will say the Cuisinart is better than any Keurig now made, but for taste None of the K Cup machines come close in brew quality to the Opus.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the review. I own the Cuisinart, love it, and especially liked that it offered a three year warranty as opposed to the one year warranty offered by Keurig. The iCoffee sounds great.