Respected Contributor

i think there is something dead in the wall

last nite we were watching tv downstairs, and dh mentioned that there was something funky smelling .

well we decided that probably the new kitty (great fluffy hunter) brought in a rodent of somesort in and it wasn't quite dead yet.  so today, dh pulls everything out of the storage closet, behind fridge ect. nothing. 

anyone have any good tips how to deal/locate said critter?

something to mask the smell, anything. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: i think there is something dead in the wall

Is 'new' kitty allowed outside to roam around alone?

Esteemed Contributor

Is "new" kitty housebroken?  (I have no clue how old  kitty is - new posting for me)

Esteemed Contributor

Catchy thread name!

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

This is going to sound kind of gross but,  Years ago when we lived in  Wisconsin,  we had a new house that was kind of in the country.  In the winter sometimes a mouse would fall between the walls in my pantry.  It would smell dead for only a short time ( at most a day or 2).  Mice are small and decompose pretty fast.  So hopefully that is what it is.  good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In 1989 I purchased a brand new house and when I moved in (alone), I saw black hair on the vent inside the house - which was at floor level. I freaked. It was a skunk - which got into the bottom portion before the furnace was attached in the garage. My neighbor left something open - including the side door to the garage and it left. I wasn't home as I couldn't stand the situation. Maybe u should call a termite guy. Something could be stuck between the walls.

Respected Contributor

Several years ago we had a dead squirrel behind our cast iron fireplace insert. Believe it or not there was only a slight odor. What was really gross was we started to get all of these big black flies in the house and could not figure out why. We hired someone to move the insert and there was the dead squirrel, awful.

Honored Contributor

I agree you should call an exterminator. Even if the smell eventually goes, a dead creature would still be there.

Honored Contributor

Do you have an extra bathroom that is never used?    Sometimes dry drains emit "strange odors"..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Have DH check the drain pan under the refrigerator. They can get really stinky sometimes.