Honored Contributor

Re: i think i just unwittingly let someone case my house

It was wise on your part to call the police.  

Not to terrify you or any other readers of these posts, I am providing a link to a shocking stabbing murder that recently occurred in an affluent neighborhood in nearby Loudoun County, Va.  I am posting the story to focus on the need to be wary of strangers at your door.  The killer/attacker had visited the home several times.  In one account I read that his approach was to knock on the door and ask for someone (not at that address, of course).  As this account reveals, he appeared at other homes in the same neighborhood on previous days.

The killer's father said that his son has had mental problems for a long time.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/northern-virginia/suspect-in-virginia-mansion-slaying-stalk...

Occasional Contributor

@kittyloo  So glad you called the police.  Every place is different.  I live in a small town in the mountains of Western NC.  The police here encourage people to call and report things.  

Times have changed sadly and as women we need to be extra careful.  Saying that, I don't live in fear but I am careful.

I hope you enjoy your new home and area. 

Living in the beautiful mountains of Western NC.
Honored Contributor

I just had security system installed I sleep like a newborn now.

Best money I ever spent. sensors on doors and windows, even garage doors.

doodnightchristmasSusy45.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oftentimes, mentally ill people experience incredibly high energy surges.  If these individuals are also fueled by illegal drugs, their physical force can be beyond the known normal range.

Above is the home in which the individual was stabbed to death and his fiancee stabbed but not killed.  The murderer kicked in the front door and also kicked in the door to the victim's bedroom (where he had sought refuge), according to early reports.  

Honored Contributor

got deadbolt on my bedroom door too.

only door they can't kick in is steel I think

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

UPDATE;  called the police dept, and the chief was here within 10 minutes i think. 

He knew exactly who she was, (went to school with her) said she is a harmless con artist.  

he said she is always looking for a hand out, or some such thing. he said she always has some sad story, and likes to play on peoples sympathies. but she is harmless. 

i feel 100% better. glad i made the call. 

what a learning lesson for me.  had this happened to me at our previous home, i would have NEVER let her into the house. living here in backwoods Louisiana, where everyone is friendly, i let my guard down. never again. lesson learned. 

@kittyloo 

SO glad it turned out okay.   btw, I'm curious .... what originally drew you to backwoods Louisiana?  

Trusted Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

I don't think a con artist is harmless. jmo

There is obviously something wrong with her so who knows what she might do if given the opportunity.

Be careful and keep an eye out.

I don't think a con artist is harmless, either.  She knew the OP was new in town and perhaps thought she could get away with conning her.  

BTW, the vast majority of crimes are commited by people who knew the perp to some degree.  Stranger to stranger crime is a much lower percentage than people realize.

I'd stay clear of this person.  JMO.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Ever since people started getting the doorbell and surveillance cameras, people have become downright paranoid.  On the NextDoor app, they'll put out an alert to half the city if a kid walks down the street wearing a hoodie.  They got hysterical when people in cars took pictures of their houses, like that was illegal.  They thought they were being cased.  Turns out the photographers were real estate agents. I won't mention how excited they recently got about the silver suv following the UPS truck.  They were sure it was a gang of thieves.  The driver of that vehicle came to my door delivering a package, wearing a UPS vest.  I told her she was the talk of the town. 

Interesting.  What I see - at least 3-4 times a week are reports of peoples' cars and garages being broken into and items stolen.  You could call that hysteria I guess, but property crimes - along with assaults are definitely increasing here in Northern Virginia.  Sad.

Respected Contributor

am I the only who thinks this incident is made up.

The police chief went to school with the con artist woman sounds like something from an  tv series

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

UPDATE;  called the police dept, and the chief was here within 10 minutes i think. 

He knew exactly who she was, (went to school with her) said she is a harmless con artist.  

he said she is always looking for a hand out, or some such thing. he said she always has some sad story, and likes to play on peoples sympathies. but she is harmless. 

i feel 100% better. glad i made the call.  

what a learning lesson for me.  had this happened to me at our previous home, i would have NEVER let her into the house. living here in backwoods Louisiana, where everyone is friendly, i let my guard down. never again. lesson learned. 

@kittyloo Glad to hear. Enjoy your new home. 

Shortly after we moved into our house in 1980, someone came up and asked to use our phone. They were trying to find their friends house and were lost. We bought a antique reproduction phone for the kitchen but had not had it installed yet. So they had to use the phone in our bedroom. 

As they were in our bedroom both my husband and I looked at each other and were second guessing what was going on. 

And it was just fine. They talked to their friend and everyone moved on.