Respected Contributor

Re: i think i just unwittingly let someone case my house

@lovescats wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

am I the only who thinks this incident is made up.

The police chief went to school with the con artist woman sounds like something from an  tv series

@lovescats  I can understand why you think that. I thought the same thing when I read it.

I thought it was was not only weird that he just happened to go to school with her, but that he actually called her a "harmless con artist". Hard to believe that a law enforcement officer would call a con artist "harmless".

What else got me was using impressive and chachkies in the same sentence.

Upside, is in the livingroom, there are no tv's or electronics.  just furniture, and my VAST array of chachkies. nothing of value. the bad news is the livingroom is rather vast, and impressive.

what was the con artist going to do steal the livingroom?

OP said she lived in a small village in one of the nicest houses.  This woman - who complains about being down on her luck and unable to find a job  (when as the OP notes there are many jobs clearly available in the town) asks if she can be hired to clean OP's house.

Oh I don't know, call me crazy to be suspicious of that request.  I mean she couldn't possibly be interested in lifting something - could she?  Especially since housecleaning is more difficult and unappealing  work than that probably  being currently advertised - so if she really wanted a job and not an opportunity, she didn't need to visit the OP.

The idea of resenting people for having nice things and thinking they are above themselves for enjoying them is clearly not an isolated one.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo   You need to be on your toes.  Don't let anyone into your home that you don't know for some time.  I hope you told her you don't need help.  Yes, cigarettes are very expensive today.  I am glad I quit 8 years ago.  Be careful and perhaps a call to the Police to see if they are familiar with this woman.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I live rural and never hesitate to call the sheriff/police (and they respond quickly) if I see strangers acting strange. Don't like people coming up to my door needing gas or asking if I want to sell any farm equipment  or etc blah blah. I let the dogs bark their fool heads off at them and give them a "hit the road" evil eye. NEVER let them in the house! This is after they come through my gate with a "no soliciting" sign on it. Perhaps they can't read. The lesson is better safe than sorry. Too much crazy out there these days.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

am I the only who thinks this incident is made up.

The police chief went to school with the con artist woman sounds like something from an  tv series

@lovescats  we are talking about a small town. A lot of people never move away from where they were raised, or some move away and then moved back home.

The "con artist" could have been a very respectable person but due to circumstances, things took a different turn.

Super Contributor

Hi, the police are trained to be proactive not reactive.If there is someone possibly casing your housr you can be sure it will happen again either in your neighborhood or another in the area. Some agencies are large and can have a Community officer keep an eye out in your area. The smaller agencies will usually have more time to increase patrol in your area and watch for suspicious activity. I think you were trying to be nice and helpful to her but you should never allow a stranger in your home. I would give the police a full description of her and her vehicle. Just keep an eye out for any other different activity in your area. I would add some outdoor motion detector lights that can scare people away. Good luck
Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

Believe me, in small towns and villages the Police care. They want to keep the town free from crime and they do all they can to prevent it because it's a reflection on them.

@kittyloo  asking the Police about the person can also give you peace of mind if one day you needed help with cleaning and other things. Only thing though is the smoking if that bothers you.

That's totally true !   We live in a small village as well and the cops are wonderful ,  we are very thankful for them as they do care about our community and keeping it safe.  I'm sure @kittyloo  they will keep an eye out plus they may even know this lady.   Post back and let us know how it all goes.