Respected Contributor

Re: i think i just unwittingly let someone case my house

I am glad everything turned out well.  Glad they responded. Living alone I am leary of any stranger on my driveway. I had a man two days ago stop with an out of state licence plate telling me he was selling steaks. I havent had that happen for more than 10 years. I spoke to him in the open garage. Observed his van and licence plate. I noticed he went next door as looking for people at home. I didnt think door to door sales was done any more? I also live in a small town of 5000.

I reported an unfamiliar  young man walking down the road at 7:15 a m  as a neighbor told me he had a car stolen and trashed. This neighbor has a son in jail and a grandson who robbed me years ago so think it was a disgrunted friends.  He said never found out who took his car? Neighbor is ok but an enabler. The police did not really care. I told them there are five older single women who live here and I had been robbed once. Saw it in the call report section of the paper that was it.

Respected Contributor

My son just turned in a video from a surveillance camera of 2

guys trying to see if his doors were unlocked and peeking lin the

windows around 2 in the morning .... 2 teenage girls live in that

house ....

can't be too careful l...and if people call you parinoid .. WHO CARES !!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Ever since people started getting the doorbell and surveillance cameras, people have become downright paranoid.  On the NextDoor app, they'll put out an alert to half the city if a kid walks down the street wearing a hoodie.  They got hysterical when people in cars took pictures of their houses, like that was illegal.  They thought they were being cased.  Turns out the photographers were real estate agents. I won't mention how excited they recently got about the silver suv following the UPS truck.  They were sure it was a gang of thieves.  The driver of that vehicle came to my door delivering a package, wearing a UPS vest.  I told her she was the talk of the town. 

@Kachina624 I agree some people get carried away about things but sometimes, those videos come in handy and you really never know.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovescats wrote:

am I the only who thinks this incident is made up.

The police chief went to school with the con artist woman sounds like something from an  tv series

@lovescats  I can understand why you think that. I thought the same thing when I read it.

I thought it was not only weird that he just happened to go to school with her, but that he actually called her a "harmless con artist". Hard to believe that a law enforcement officer would call a con artist "harmless".

Respected Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@lovescats wrote:

The police chief went to school with the con artist woman sounds like something from an  tv series

@lovescats  I can understand why you think that. I thought the same thing when I read it.

I thought it was was not only weird that he just happened to go to school with her, but that he actually called her a "harmless con artist". Hard to believe that a law enforcement officer would call a con artist "harmless".

What else got me was using impressive and chachkies in the same sentence.

Upside, is in the livingroom, there are no tv's or electronics.  just furniture, and my VAST array of chachkies. nothing of value. the bad news is the livingroom is rather vast, and impressive.

what was the con artist going to do steal the livingroom?

Honored Contributor

With a good description I bet the police will recognize her immediately.  They will tell you if she is harmless and your mind can be at ease.  

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@kittyloo wrote:

UPDATE;  called the police dept, and the chief was here within 10 minutes i think. 

He knew exactly who she was, (went to school with her) said she is a harmless con artist.  

he said she is always looking for a hand out, or some such thing. he said she always has some sad story, and likes to play on peoples sympathies. but she is harmless. 

i feel 100% better. glad i made the call.  

what a learning lesson for me.  had this happened to me at our previous home, i would have NEVER let her into the house. living here in backwoods Louisiana, where everyone is friendly, i let my guard down. never again. lesson learned. 

@kittyloo Glad to hear. Enjoy your new home. 

Shortly after we moved into our house in 1980, someone came up and asked to use our phone. They were trying to find their friends house and were lost. We bought a antique reproduction phone for the kitchen but had not had it installed yet. So they had to use the phone in our bedroom. 

As they were in our bedroom both my husband and I looked at each other and were second guessing what was going on. 

And it was just fine. They talked to their friend and everyone moved on.

You were lucky.  Good for you.  Not everyone is.

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Ever since people started getting the doorbell and surveillance cameras, people have become downright paranoid.  On the NextDoor app, they'll put out an alert to half the city if a kid walks down the street wearing a hoodie.  They got hysterical when people in cars took pictures of their houses, like that was illegal.  They thought they were being cased.  Turns out the photographers were real estate agents. I won't mention how excited they recently got about the silver suv following the UPS truck.  They were sure it was a gang of thieves.  The driver of that vehicle came to my door delivering a package, wearing a UPS vest.  I told her she was the talk of the town. 

@Kachina624 I agree some people get carried away about things but sometimes, those videos come in handy and you really never know.

Yes, some people do get carried away at times.  There is a trial happening now where 3 men got "carried away" and a bit paranoid, I would say.  

Trusted Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

If they are both from the same small town, and about the same age, of course they would have attended the same school.  I thought that was one of the wonderful things about small town life - everyone knows everyone.

Respected Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yes, some people do get carried away at times.  There is a trial happening now where 3 men got "carried away" and a bit paranoid, I would say.  

i would  say the three men were full of hatred not paranoid