Esteemed Contributor

Re: i think i just unwittingly let someone case my house

@On It wrote:

We are comparing apples to oranges when we discuss the police in a small village vs ones in a city. Villages can be a lot like Mayberry. Everybody knows everybody and the police are your neighbors and friends. Things are more personal in these small places. They will probably know the lady in question or be able to quickly find out about her.

@On It  oh my goodness. In my Post I mentioned Mayberry and Sherrif Taylor but deleted that part.

I spent many years in a Village in the Carribbean and everyone knew each other. Those days were the best.

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo No harm; no foul. The good news the police chief knows you and will be aware of you. Win! Win!

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@Sage04   yes, that's me. 

@kittyloo  glad to hear that everything turned out well with the house. Enjoy!!

Police Chief knows who you are. One thing though, now you can pretend you aren't at home if the lady comes by and you don't feel like talking lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was going to suggest you call and speak with police.  People are despirate now and you need to be safe.  Give him a description of the woman and you'll sleep better tonight.

Yes, call them, whether some here think they can't do something or not. Better safe than sorry.  I'd call.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad that turned out well, but please understand that some cons do this while one is the "front" with the sad story keeping you busy while someone else is getting into the garage or through the back door.  Someone said not to be scared, just smart and that's true.   So much "out there" to contend with anymore and never let anyone into your house.  Calling your police chief after the fact was the best thing to do!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo  Great outcome and showcases the benefits of small town/village living.  Now you have a personal connection with the chief and that's good. I do agree with getting a security system of some sort to give you further peace of mind.

In my smallish town I have only needed to call the police once and they were here in a couple of minutes. Enjoy your new home.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think a con artist is harmless. jmo

There is obviously something wrong with her so who knows what she might do if given the opportunity.

Be careful and keep an eye out.

Honored Contributor

I also hope that you keep your doors and windows locked.  I know some folks in small towns don't think this is a necessity, but it is.  

Stay safe!  Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

I don't think people telling her she shouldn't have, or never do it.  Pretty sure she knows that!

I would definitely contact the police and let them know what happened, provide a description.  Not accusingly, but just on the off-chance they know of her.  In a small town, it's possible.

In the meantime, install security cameras and lights.  Hopefully someone is home more often than not.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo- Glad to hear you contact law enforcement and they responded.