Honored Contributor

Re: i think i just unwittingly let someone case my house

@kittyloo wrote:

so, here goes. we are new to town,  in a VERY small village.

(smaller than a town) and are across the street from the high school, so many people know of this house. built in the '80, and one of the nicest this side of town.  

knock on the door, and a woman, wants to know about the wire racks i left out by the garbage pickup. all the pieces there.  any immediately goes into about how struggling she is, down on her luck, can't get a job. 

i'm thinking can't get a job??? you must be kidding. Everyplace in town is hiring.

like a idiot, i let her come in, so i can show her what pieces are missing from the racks. Pantry is near the door, but her eyes are EVERYWHERE.  can she do cleaning for me, or any other work. (get into the house) 

Upside, is in the livingroom, there are no tv's or electronics.  just furniture, and my VAST array of chachkies. nothing of value. the bad news is the livingroom is rather vast, and impressive.  

i thought that the story kept jumping from one thing to another, and you could tell she was a smoker. Hard to be dirt poor, and desperate and afford smokes.  thinking about calling our police chief, and having a chat with him.

am i being paranoid?

@kittyloo 

Heck, no, and PLEASE call the police for a couple reasons .... first, to further establish a relationship with them in a non-emergency setting and ...  two ... because it's possible this is a questionable person who has caused complaints to be made, and the police need more info (or complaints) to take steps.   

If it's even remotely possible this person is up to no good, they need to know they are on the LE radar.

Please call .... and let us know what they say?   

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There isn't a thing the police can do.  The woman hasn't done a thing wrong.  All she did was enter your home at your invitation.  I wouldn't want her to be the victim of police harrassment. 

The police can make more frequent patrols for a while.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE   Unfortunately, this is the case even when there is a crime.  My husband had expensive golf clubs and paraphernalia stolen out of his car.  Police said they couldn't do anything.  I'll bet with the shortage of police, this has become even more prevalent.  Cops I've talked to are frustrated (we have a couple in our community), saying their hands are tied.  

Esteemed Contributor

Believe me, in small towns and villages the Police care. They want to keep the town free from crime and they do all they can to prevent it because it's a reflection on them.

@kittyloo  asking the Police about the person can also give you peace of mind if one day you needed help with cleaning and other things. Only thing though is the smoking if that bothers you.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@SharkE   Unfortunately, this is the case even when there is a crime.  My husband had expensive golf clubs and paraphernalia stolen out of his car.  Police said they couldn't do anything.  I'll bet with the shortage of police, this has become even more prevalent.  Cops I've talked to are frustrated (we have a couple in our community), saying their hands are tied.  

@phoenixbrd 

Was it covered under your homeowners or renters insurance?

Regular Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@phoenixbrd 

Was it covered under your homeowners or renters insurance?

Police catch them.  Legal system turns them loose.  

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo  are the Poster who travelled to another State recently to buy a house? If that's you, Congratulations!!

Respected Contributor

We are comparing apples to oranges when we discuss the police in a small village vs ones in a city. Villages can be a lot like Mayberry. Everybody knows everybody and the police are your neighbors and friends. Things are more personal in these small places. They will probably know the lady in question or be able to quickly find out about her.

Respected Contributor

UPDATE;  called the police dept, and the chief was here within 10 minutes i think. 

He knew exactly who she was, (went to school with her) said she is a harmless con artist.  

he said she is always looking for a hand out, or some such thing. he said she always has some sad story, and likes to play on peoples sympathies. but she is harmless. 

i feel 100% better. glad i made the call.  

what a learning lesson for me.  had this happened to me at our previous home, i would have NEVER let her into the house. living here in backwoods Louisiana, where everyone is friendly, i let my guard down. never again. lesson learned. 

Respected Contributor

@Sage04   yes, that's me.