[ Edited ]

State and federal due July 15, automatically extended

Esteemed Contributor

Re: i still haven't heard from my tax preparer

@Janey2  Maybe your state. Not mine. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

As long as you didn't let the originals go, you have everything to file yourself.  Go for it.  The software makes it easy.

Super Contributor

For me I'm all done Federal and State.... I go to a small office...one accountant..one office worker....I dropped everything off at his office March 28....at the entrance he had a box sitting on a chair...I put all my papers in a large sealed plastic bag.and placed them  in the box ...we spoke for a few minutes at a distance...about 10 days later everything came back to me overnight PostOffice delivery....forms for me to sign highlighted...his bill...and how much to pay with coupons and envelopes. Included .. I signed everything...made out a check for his fee...mailed everything back to him....paid my due taxes.........all checks have cleared my bank...I'm done...for me ....I .didn't see any point to postponing until July....I've been going to this accountant for many years....

Esteemed Contributor

My sister in Michigan called her tax guy for a time to drop off her tax info. She figured since she had it ready she may as well get them done and forget about it.  He said, "It is rather humbling to find out after 30 years of doing taxes, my job is unessential."  He went on to tell her that he isn't allowed to do taxes until after the  shut in order has been lifted.  

The governor of Michigan has gone a bit overboard on some of the restrictions.  No lawncare business, no boating, no parks open, but you can buy pot, lottery tickets, and booze. (tax $$$) The Cherry festival in Traverse City and many more festivals around the state have been cancelled.  I can see limiting large crowds, but come on, a family out on their boat?

Sorry, I got off the topic of tax preparation. Woman Frustrated

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

We did hear from our tax accountant and wrote a big, fat check beyond all the additional tax $$ we voluntarily pay throughout the year. Glad hubs retired this year. We're middle class on paper. It's obvious middle class are taxed beyond what is reasonable. No doubt we pay more taxes than wealthy folks with loopholes. Okay, I'm done venting. Good luck all. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

We have called ours twice.  They are working from home and taking their time since it was extended.  We told them that we didn't care about the extension and they had already had it prior to.  

DH was very polite (I wouldn't have been.  LOL)   He said he understood, but ... he  wants them signed and over, too.  The last call was 2-3 weeks ago and she was "working on it".  Still no word.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I'm glad we dropped ours off and they were e-filed by our accountant before the you know what hit the fan and extensions were put out there.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

When we had a boat on a lake at our home, we walked out to OUR dock and took off, @Daisy Sunflower .  I understand public launches perhaps being crowded......a different circumstance.  I think people are going to have to use common sense going forward.  We are all going to the gas stations.  People are buying lottery tickets, beer, and such and that seems to be okay.  (wth the governor) I guess it is a learning process for all.

This is all new to everyone, including the powers that be.  I wouldn't want their job.  

Stay safe, @Daisy Sunflower !

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!