Trusted Contributor

Re: i don't know whether to be upset or furious or both/Anniversary of 9/11 attacks

National Geographic channel and the History Channel have had shows on all day today about 9/11.

Respected Contributor

Re: i don't know whether to be upset or furious or both/Anniversary of 9/11 attacks

Yep. A few stations had longer presentations on, but I'd have thought it would be more widely shown in the media.

I have zero positive things to say about the media - so I will keep my fat-trap closed.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

It's been on all day in N. Jersey.   I wait for the names to read as I lost friends on that day.  The usual reading did not take place in NYC but there was an alternate memorial by Tunnels to Towers.  The Shanksville memorial was televised as well. 

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@Cakers3 My mistake. I wasn't referring to the people in the forums, I was referring to the location/owner of the forum itself (in this case, QVC Corporate). I should have been more clear.

@FiddleDeeDee   Thank you for taking the time to clarify. 

Again, my sincere condolences for your loss.

But hon-a banner on the Q website is impersonal, imo. 

Anybody can post a banner or a comment but it doesn't always mean it is done with sincerity; sometimes people do things "just to do it" because others are doing it.

Even when 9/11 was new, there were people even then who dismissed it and actually some who didn't even realize it had happened.

What I am trying to say, and maybe not in the best way, is that many people hold 9/11 dear in their hearts because we all lost something that day.  Granted, not all of us physically lost a loved one but take the unity of that day and the continued hope for peace and hold it close; because in the end we matter as a people today in the here and now.

I honor your loss; my son was military but he takes a different view.

It's all in perception; some look for all kinds of symbols in remembrance, some remember in solitude, some remember but do not keep a focus for long, if at all.

So please take what you can if it helps you and dismiss what doesn't.

In the end your peace of mind (I won't say closure) will always come from your heart and not what others say or do.

Be well and I send you all the best you can have in life.Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know. I guess we're all different but it seemed to me there was adequate recognition of the events of almost twenty years ago. Of course, it's important for those old enough to remember 9/11 do so and for younger folks to understand what happened, but not everyone is going feel the need to dwell on it in order to realize its significance... Perhaps we all have different ways of recalling serious events that have impacted out lives...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Fox News and Business pretty much dedicated all day to remembering 9/11. I would switch the channel just to see if the mainstream networks had something on and I didn't see and anything. They just seemed to have the present news as usual. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

A remembrance was on all of our stations for hours. I don't feel it was forgotten at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

A remembrance was on all of our stations for hours. I don't feel it was forgotten at all.

@colliegirls 

But some people are upset that every. single. station. and. channel. didn't have non-stop wall-to-wall coverage starting at 12:01 am until 11:59 pm all day long.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten - I must've been watching different channels yesterday, because every local and national news channel I watched had coverage of it.  There were local ceremonies all across my state.  No one here is "forgetting" and no one needs to be ashamed about anything.

It's definitely not something that has been forgotten (nor forgiven), but being "upset or furious" serves no purpose, IMO.  If anyone thinks something important is being forgotten, do something about it in your own corner of the country.  That's the only way to honor those who were lost in any tragedy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@colliegirls 

But some people are upset that every. single. station. and. channel. didn't have non-stop wall-to-wall coverage starting at 12:01 am until 11:59 pm all day long.

It does sometimes seem that some folks aren't going to be content unless we flog ourselves each year on this anniversary... It was a devastating event deserving of recognition and remembrance, but it's also healthy, twenty years later, to move on...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...