Respected Contributor

Re: how would you handle this

This is one of those situations that you just consider the source. I would not respond in any way just don't give her the satisfaction. They don't put braces on little ones at that age anyway. So I am sure if he needs braces when he gets old enough his parents will deal with it then. You can't judge by baby teeth most of the time.

Honored Contributor

Sure wouldn't let it bother me. I'd say "oh, really" and let the dentist deal with my grandkids teeth.

Super Contributor

WELL maybe I do act like a child Who knows I just know I am a senative person.I don't want to hurt peoples feeling.

i guess I should grow up  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@crazered 

There is nothing to  handle.

Just say nothing in response to the comment.

In other words, just let it roll off you back.

Dismiss the comment.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

At 3 years old your grandson has probably been to a pediatric dentist already and the dentist would make an indication to the parents if he thought braces may be needed in future. His pediatrician would have also remarked to the parents.

Just let the comment pass.

Honored Contributor

I would have said, " three years old...braces?...REALLY?  Have you ever seen a child that young in braces?!!  Let's see how things go when he gets his adult teeth when it's time".  Then I would have changed the subject.

Respected Contributor

Well I wonder what her intent was by saying this to you.  Does it make her feel superior in some way?  Is she slighting you by this remark?  How rude of a statement to critique a small child's teeth for pete's sake.  I don't blame you for this comment getting your dander up.  I'd feel the same way.

Advice to just ignore the remark is smart, but that's easier said than done.  It was a hurtful comment.  Some of us who are not of that persuasion, to be hurtful right back, or have a quick comeback for a remark like this, take things to heart.  I would put this comment in my memory bank for safe storage and if another situation arises tell her to mind her own business and if she doesn't have anything nice to say, don't say it!!!

Some people always have to be the "smart" one, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

@crazered  did you say he´s three years old? Usually a child has to be between 10 to 14 years old. Don´t know if that has changed.

Honored Contributor

@crazered 

How would I handle it? The same way I handle most everything in my life. If I don't like something someone says about a friend/relative, or whomever. 

I say exactly how I feel, in terms they understand, and let the chips fall where they may. I had 3 older sisters, only 1 of which is still alive. We haven't gotten along well, at times, and the way I Express what I think was part of the reasons.

She preferred to beat around the proverbial *u**, and that is not what I do, nor do I like others, that just don't or won't spit it out.

You asked, I replied.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@crazered  tell her the Tooth Fairy hasn´t visited him yet so he can´t have braces. You know what? Just don´t respond. You should have changed the subject.

Are you sure she´s related?