Respected Contributor

Re: how would you handle this

The best response is no response.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

My relative told me I had a scrawny, stringy neck.   I bit my tongue and didn't mention HER quadruple chin(!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Best to just say "Could be" and move on.

There is much more going here if you feel you are being treated like a kid and this remark concerns you.

It may be true too.  I have a grandkid that had a band on baby teeth.  So did his mother.  Why save for college when you can blow it on teeth.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

What exactly do you think needs to be handled?

How about letting her have her opinion, and pay her no mind.  Ignore it.

Exactly. No big deal that I can see. She thinks he needs braces and the OP does't. Time will tell. Nothing to handle. Mountains out of molehills. Sheesh.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

So what I hear is that you are upset because you are treated like a child, the grandson's teeth being crooked is secondary.

I think you will continue to be treated like a child as long as you let it continue.  It's time to speak up in moments like this.  Yes, your sister is going to get her feelings hurt at first because she's used to having the upper hand.  It's time to explain how you feel and quit being the kicking post.  Why do you have to adjust your feelings for the sake of someone else?

Esteemed Contributor

@crazered  I do not understand why you are upset.  It may or may not be true about his teeth, but that remark should not cause any concern to you.  Hopefully, your grandson has been to a dentist by this time and is taken on a regular basis.   If not, you might want to mention to the parents that he should start going.   A dentist would know if there is an issue.

I do not want to be unkind, but if you feel that you are being treated as a child, maybe it is because of how you are reacting to a remark made by your sister.  Unless words/thoughts are untrue and/or mean-spirited, my family and friends can say anything to me.  I consider that normal conversation.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Why would anyone be talking about a 3 year old needing braces? That's years away. Just a stupid thing to say overall. If you don't like the way she talks to you, don't take her calls as often. Let it go to voicemail. She may catch on. I have found the cold shoulder can be extremely effective. Or, just tell her what tou think and accept the fallout. Sounds like you're old enough to know it's not worth it to maintain unhealthy relationships just because it's family. Family or not, people should treat each other with respect. 

Trusted Contributor

How would I handle it?  I'd ignore it.  You're taking this too personally IMO.  

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Just tell her the truth......... that you  disagree with her.  If she pursues it ....you just say something like,  "any decisions about a childs teeth is up to his or her parents" and quickly change the subject.     

Honored Contributor

@crazeredYou already handled it -  and handled it well.  You were the adult in the room and proved it by walking away instead of throwing gasoline on the fire. 

I can't begin to imagine why your sister even brought up this topic. I didn't see a single word of concern in your post that would make me think your grandson is not already well cared for without his great aunt's interference.  That's what counts.