Contributor

Re: how do you find in-home assistance for older people

I agree with @123SuzyQ123 & @ALRATIBA, either primary care physician or their church might send you in the right direction.  Maybe they know someone who you can hire, or they may have volunteers to recommend.

When my uncle retired, he started a little business called Errands Inc, and that's exactly what he did, took seniors to doctor appts, shopping, and errands.  I'm sure every community has something like this.

Though if it is just a ride that's needed, instead of a taxi service, you might use Uber or, if you don't have a smartphone and would like to talk with someone directly, maybe try GoGo Grandparent.

Esteemed Contributor

@excpa

@excpa wrote:

So many horror stories out there.  Some of the agencies seem to be nothing more than scam generators.  I contacted one, by email,  that looked OK (internet articles) and, the next thing I knew, I had text messages, e-mails and phone calls.  They wanted money up-front (no mention of this in articles) to be "upgraded" in membership so you could get back-ground check reports.  No mention of what you got without the upgrade.   We don't need much; just an occassional ride.  Guess I'll be using taxi service.

Has anyone any suggestions on where to look for occassional help?

The council on aging.  Also Visiting Angels is a big one.  Senior Centers, rehab homes.  Make sure they belong to an agency, license and bonded.  You get what you pay for, cheap labor, cheap work.  My friend is paying what use to be called, "Under the table", and that is the kind of help she is getting.  Some senior can,t afford much, this lady is loaded, but won,t pay for good Service.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the input.

Respected Contributor

Based on what you said you needed.  I too recommend your State and/or County Area Agency on Aging.

Respected Contributor

Répondre : how do you find in-home assistance for older people

[ Edited ]

My mother sold her house and moved to a nice retirement community. When physical and cognitive issues developed I had someone recommended by the community manager to come in M-F. She was to keep Mom company and help with various things until I could get there after work at 5:30pm. I left my house and went to help my mother get dressed and have breakfast before I went to work. I didn't leave until this lady arrived. She started being late everyday which was a big problem because I had to be at work on time. Then I learned that she was eating most of my mom's lunch.

At the time I honestly didn't realize these "aides" wanted cash or a personal check because they didn't want to declare the income and pay taxes. I will never again hire anyone who is not vetted and employed by a senior care agency, one where I have personally met the staff and the caregiver. The most important thing is any concerns or problems are immediately addressed and dealt with by the agency.  There is no supervision of the individuals who aren't employed by an established agency for which legitimate reviews and history are available. I don't care how "nice" they seem or who recommended them. The state/county departments on aging shouldn't and are not going to recommend or refer you to anyone who is not legitimately a caregiver who has not had the minimum of a recent backround check and drug testing. Individuals who freelance don't. They do, however, probably know a lot about the existing agencies.

Esteemed Contributor

We hired "off the book" aides for 12 yrs (parents were on East Coast, me on West Coast).  We paid the top end of wage scale for that type of work 24/7 365/7days a week but we handled them as private contractors; taxes were up to them.  If I ever need help I hope I get ladies as devoted as these.  There is so much expense, effort involved in elder care you make decisions others may not understand but that you know in your heart are right.

Super Contributor

Along with the County Agency on Aging, and Social Services, some long-term residential communites have their own agency that may go outside their group and into the general community.  Find a reputable community with a good rating and call for info.  I wish you the best of luck.

Respected Contributor

My mom did this for a few years after she retired, it was all word of mouth referrals.

She was very selective in who she worked for and clients who wanted to keep her as 'a regular' paid her dearly to keep her in on the schedule.  Her clients biggest complaints where people not showing up when scheduled or canceling due to weather, etc.

At a minimum she was paid double what she made at the hospital plus overtime if she needed to stay late (she worked 2-4 days a week)

Respected Contributor

Home Instead was the agency my cousins secured for my Uncle.  He needed transportation as he no longer was permitted to drive.  They also provided housekeeping, laundry, would do his shopping, accompany him anywhere, ie., appointments and even ER if needed, would prepare meals if needed and provided social interaction.

The agency care coordinators meet with the clients to access needs and desired services  There was a minimum number of hours per day you have to contract for.  The rate in our area (PA) was $25 per hour + mileage for any transport provided.

They try to utilize one to three different caregivers. However we found that a lot of times they would send different caregivers.  For my uncle that wasn't helpful as he had dementia issues and he needed consistency.

@excpa This is a trustworthy agency and I believe they are nationwide.  But they may exceed your needs.

Honored Contributor

We went through this.  I called a service I found online.  It was recommended on the joan luden site, A Place for Mom..  Of course they werelicenced and bonded.  I checked them out, and had personal interview with manager.  She came to home, then she met mom.  Then they match a caregiver.  My mom was a horror!  We had to get new caregivers all the time.  One care giver bonded with mom, and has been coming fove days a week for 3 uears.  Last summer she became very ill and was hospitalized for a while, and had a long recouperation.  Mom was off the rails with other caregivers.  She went through 9 in one month.  My mom has altzheimers and also has a narcissic personality disorder. at the stage mom was in we hadnt put her on meds.  Anyway she is on 2 meds and does well.  Her memory is so gone she is a bit easier to handle.

i would never have anything but licenced care.  Meet with them, check out their report on your state consumer board.  Talk to people.  I love bonded as they are better trained. The company manages the caregivers better.  The caregivers are paid better.  Also, if they are ill or need day off company fills in.  You are never left unattended.  You know that the caregiver is not a criminal, or have a disease like tb, and such as they are all tested. We have cameras in places so we can check they are there.

getting care is a hard thing, especially if parent is resistant or has dementia.  Not all caregivers are good with dementia patients.  Some are way too young for an older parent ( my mom os 97). The 21 year olds did not work out.  Our caregiver is in her mid to late 40's, quite bright with an excellent sense of humor.  She is homest hard working.  Most of all she seems to know what mom needs before mom does.  We are truly lucky and blessed to have our caretaker