Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: homeowners insurance question

When I lived in Virginia we had an ice storm and our tree was dangerously leaning over part of my neighbors house.  I call our insurance to find out who was responsible for having the tree removed before it fell on their house.  My insurance company told me that because the tree was dangerously hanging over part of their house that I was responsible for having it removed.  Now if the tree had initally just fallen on their house, then they would've been responsible since then it was considered an Act of God but because it hadn't fallen was hanging there about to fall, I knew about it and had to take care of it.  Go figure!  

Respected Contributor

Insurance companies DO try to avoid having to pay claims. 

My dad was an insurance agent for a well-known company for many years. Over the years I know there were times he had to go to bat, so to speak, against his company for his clients in order for them to get the coverage their policy entitled them to.  Clients often don’t understand the fine details buried in the pages of their policies but the agents do.

His company didn’t much care for his loyalty to customer over loyalty to the company. My parents would sometimes worry that Dad might get fired, but he never did. In fact there were many times he received the yearly award for recruiting the most new customers. 

Esteemed Contributor

Timely topic for me.  I got a call from my insurance company to increase my umbrella policy ato a total of 1 million.  I only had five hundred thousand as part of my original policy.  I decided TO DO IT.  I have become more aware these days of the many ways things can happen, honeslty and not so honest.  I figured it was worth the little bit  more to insure us. 

Respected Contributor

I was a Medical Claim Adjuster and our job was to PAY CLAIMS CORRECTLY. If there’s a 3rd party, they pay first. Your health plan should not be paying first. 

Its NOT OUR JOB TO DENY all the claims. Read your Plan Provisions and educate yourself. Man oh man

@stevieb wrote:

Because insurance is a legalized racket and their primary goal is to not pay out on a claim. If they can get the other party's insurance to pay, so much the better.

Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

I was a Medical Claim Adjuster and our job was to PAY CLAIMS CORRECTLY. If there’s a 3rd party, they pay first. Your health plan should not be paying first. 

Its NOT OUR JOB TO DENY all the claims. Read your Plan Provisions and educate yourself. Man oh man

@stevieb wrote:

Because insurance is a legalized racket and their primary goal is to not pay out on a claim. If they can get the other party's insurance to pay, so much the better.

@Mustang Shar When my son was young I had to take him to the ER. Some time later I received a bill for this. I had great health coverage through my employer, so when the bill came I thought it was weird but trusted that this must have been above what my policy covered so I sent payment. Weeks later I found out that my policy had indeed covered the entire bill and that I shouldn’t have paid anything. When I called the billing office I was told that the hospital is allowed to bill for the service my son had received and that if a patient was stupid enough to pay it, the hospital was allowed to keep that payment! Yep, those were her exact words!  

Honored Contributor

I worked for a health insurance company for almost 25 years.  Auto and Workman's Comp had to be used and exhausted before we were allowed to pay claims for those types of injuries.

We never asked a homeowner or business to pay for claims if someone was injured there. Now if the injured wished to sue for payment, we were paid back.

i broke three fingers in Home Depot...their fault.  My health insurance paid the bill no questions asked.  They only wanted to know if it was an auto or if I got hurt at work. When I said no, they paid my claims.

Now if I sued Home Depot, the attorneys would have made sure my health insurance company was paid back.

If you have no umbrella rider on your homeowners policy to cover injuries, I would imagine that a letter from the home owners insurance saying so, or an EOB showing the denial would be enough for the health insurance company to pay the bill.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would never ever volunteer to have any get together at my home.

"Get- togethers that is what restaurants are for".