Contributor

There are way too many people who view dogs and cats (and other animals) as disposable. Get a dog or cat and if it doesn't work with your lifestyle--get rid of it. My mother taught me that when you "ask"the dog or cat to come live with you you are making a commitment for the lifetime of the animal. If you can't do that without reservation then do not take the animal home. As for the excuse, "I'm moving and I can't take my dog or cat." Phooey on that. My ex-husband was in the military and when we went overseas and came back our dogs and cat came with us. My dogs and my cat are my "family" and they are very important to me. My life is about taking care of them and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Honored Contributor
Oscar and Grover have committed the sin of getting old and have probably developed some health problem. The owners are seeing dollar signs and think the pups aren't worth it. This happens every day in every shelter in the country. Old dogs who have been great pets for years are dumped. Few get adopted and most are euthanized. The breed rescue with which I work accepts these dogs, puts them in a home (usually a member) and pays their medical bills for the rest of their lives. With luck they get a few more happy years and are loved.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The re-homing fee is very suspicious. Could be a stolen pet, especially if it's a purebred. That is horrible, poor little animal wondering what is going on! This would be very wrong and illegal too.

But....isn't it better that people try to find homes for their pets rather than just drop them off at a shelter? Family situations change.

Honored Contributor
Nobody steals and tries to sell an eleven year old dog! They'll be be lucky to find someone to take them for free.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

At least they are honest and are trying to do the best for their pets.

Trusted Contributor

It's sad that the parents failed to teach their children that pets are their responsibility for as long as the pet is alive, but I suppose if they are not going to take care of their pets properly, then maybe a new home is the way to go. I can't imagine giving up my dog any more than I can imagine giving up one of my children. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Trusted Contributor

On the other hand, at least these people recognize that their dogs are no longer getting enough attention and are looking for a better home for them. Far better than just neglecting them in the back yard..........